What's new

Still Life: Egge in a Bowl C&C is more then welcome

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
4,227
Reaction score
1,473
Location
Reading, Pa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No matter how much I tried, one light wasn't working for this, so I added a second, then I white card reflector. then a couple baffles to block the background. This one took a lot more work then my others yet I'm still not sure it worked as well.

View attachment 34799
 
Last edited:
Rick.. underexposed! Maybe more like:

$Eggs-in-a-Bowlxzzzx.webp
 
Last edited:
I'll tell ya... I really need to work on my vision. Thanks Charlie!
 
Thanks Sparky! You seem to be between my edit and Charlies.
 
much better.. but still seems a bit dim to me...
 
I'll tell ya... I really need to work on my vision. Thanks Charlie!

and lighting, a light at 45 from behind will light the edge of the eggs so they will show up more
Like this one from a workshop i set up at our camera club

EmptyName%201-L.jpg
 
Yeah, still a little underexposed - the reflections on the egg beater and bowl should be pure white.
 
Thanks for the input Charlie. Very much appreciated. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Your edit is certainly not over exposed, yet it gives the feeling of artificial light. I was trying to hold on to the "kitchen window" feel. It's a coin toss for me. I'm anxious to hear what others may think.
 
Last edited:
I understand your desire to keep the "window light" look to it, but they definitely need more light than you've achieved so far. I really like sparky's version in terms of exposure.

However, FOR ME, this photo just doesn't quite have the appeal of your onion photo anyway (appeal...ha...see what I did there? :D ). I keep looking at it to try to decide why and the best I can come up with is that the flat matte affect of the eggs and "country kitchen" feel of the red-checked tablecloth just don't match up with the shiny metal egg beater and the white Correlle-type bowl. I'd like to see them in a wood bowl, or maybe a small woven basket, like they've been freshly gathered from the chickens that morning. And I'm not sure I'd use the egg beater at all, although it needs to have SOMETHING there, and I can't think of anything *better* than the whisk.

I'll tell ya... I really need to work on my vision. Thanks Charlie!

and lighting, a light at 45 from behind will light the edge of the eggs so they will show up more
Like this one from a workshop i set up at our camera club

THAT is beautiful!
 
Well, I have to say, I dropped Charlies edit in the editor and the brightest part of the steel reflections and the brightest rim of the bowl both JUST tip the scales at 255, which I agree with Ken, is where they should be.
 
I understand your desire to keep the "window light" look to it, but they definitely need more light than you've achieved so far. I really like sparky's version in terms of exposure.

However, FOR ME, this photo just doesn't quite have the appeal of your onion photo anyway (appeal...ha...see what I did there? :D ). I keep looking at it to try to decide why and the best I can come up with is that the flat matte affect of the eggs and "country kitchen" feel of the red-checked tablecloth just don't match up with the shiny metal egg beater and the white Correlle-type bowl. I'd like to see them in a wood bowl, or maybe a small woven basket, like they've been freshly gathered from the chickens that morning. And I'm not sure I'd use the egg beater at all, although it needs to have SOMETHING there, and I can't think of anything *better* than the whisk.

I'll tell ya... I really need to work on my vision. Thanks Charlie!

and lighting, a light at 45 from behind will light the edge of the eggs so they will show up more
Like this one from a workshop i set up at our camera club

THAT is beautiful!

Thanks Sharon. That's where my head was with my original post. I agree. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something missing compared to the onions and even my fruit basket. I was shooting for the "country kitchen feel" with the plain white bowl and checkered table cloth. This one may just have to get filed in the "swing and miss" box. ;)

But...the good news is, I came up with a B&W idea during setup, so all isn't lost.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom