What's new

Still Life: Eggs in a Bowl, Redux

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
4,227
Reaction score
1,473
Location
Reading, Pa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
View attachment 35343
Removed the whisk
Removed the table cloth wrinkles
Replaced the patterned bowl
Removed the front right wood corner
Removed the left rear corner
Tightened the crop

...and the verdict is...?
 
Looks better than your previous one, but I'm noticing some competing shadows

eggsinabowlii.jpg


My suggestion would be to move your left light a little further behind the bowl, if you can, to create 3/4 lighting. Then take your other light and use it a fill to help fill in all the shadows, but not enough to outcompete your main light.
 
I just figured out it's a round table...aha, now I see...shadows are a bit worrisome, but a vast improvement upon your first submission. Bravo!
 
Lightening the highlights was a good idea, but I agree with others about the shadows. This really needs a dominant and a fill light.
 
Sorry Rick I don't like the brown and white eggs because it makes it too busy...a nice tight clutch of brown eggs would look nice.
 
I went back and looked at the first one and sure enough it had one light so you forgot to mention it here in your list of changes. But I do like it. You must
have tried one light and then decided it needed a second one. Egg colors look fine to me.
 
Lightening the highlights was a good idea, but I agree with others about the shadows. This really needs a dominant and a fill light.

Thanks Ken. Lighting is completely new to me. Until recently, the only "lighting" I did was camera mounted flash at birthday parties. It was just an area of photography that never interested me. I'm learning ;)

Sorry Rick I don't like the brown and white eggs because it makes it too busy...a nice tight clutch of brown eggs would look nice.

Thanks Mully. Half like 'em, half don't. I actually tried all brown AND all white. I didn't care for the all brown with the other colors in the shot. The white was ok and looked "country" but I opted for the mixture. A matter of taste I guess.

I went back and looked at the first one and sure enough it had one light so you forgot to mention it here in your list of changes. But I do like it. You must
have tried one light and then decided it needed a second one. Egg colors look fine to me.
Yep, You're right Rick. I forgot to mention the second light. I really wanted to carry on with the single light theme, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't eliminate the harsh shadows, even using white card stock for reflectors, so I ended up throwing the second light on them, which in turn brought on the other shadow problems mentioned.
 
I just figured out it's a round table...aha, now I see...shadows are a bit worrisome, but a vast improvement upon your first submission. Bravo!

Sorry CB, you THOUGHT you figured it out.:lol:
It's a square table against a flat wall. Optical illusion :scratch:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom