Stock/product photography lenses

stepollard1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

Im just wondering what lenses you guys would use/do use for product photography such as food,objects etc?

I am torn between a F1.8 50mm or a macro.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

I used high quality professional grade lenses to do stock and product imagery. Lighting is also very critical, particularly for product shots.

Stock photography agencies reject far more images than they accept. Granted some portion of the images that get rejected are rejected because the stock agency has no need for that type of image content, but most images get rejected beause of image quality issues.

The inexpensive 50 mm f/1.8 lenses focus sharply and can produce a shallow DoF, but have other image quality issues related to their build quality. s siginificant limiting factor is the number, shape, and edge finish of the inexpensive 50 mm f/1.8's aperture blades which produces a harsh, jittery, nervous appearing CoC.

With product photography, the lighting and the overall quality of the shot are way more important than the specific lens that was used.

Thanks,

I have a homemande light box. Im using that with 2 tabletop studio lights. I have just been using my kit 18-55 for these types of shots.
But I feel they are lacking maybe a little detail and sharpness.

Are you shooting your kit lens at it's maximum aperture? Don't do that.

Are you using a tripod, as well as a remote/self timer and mirror lock up? If not, do that.

You could always try the 60mm Macro... that might be the best of both worlds for you. Rather than f/1.8 you'll be dealing with f/2.8 but in stock and product photos you're going to have lighting so low light conditions is moot. You might not get quite as shallow DOF at normal working distances as you would with f/1.8 BUT you will have much more pleasing OOF areas because most macro lenses use 9 rounded blades rather than 7 straight blades. If very shallow DOF is something you want, you can always work just a bit closer to your subject than you would with a normal 60mm lens.

Not knowing what you shot with, the new Nikkor 85mm 1.4 is probably the sharpest lens I have ever seen. I just picked one up a few weeks ago and while I have not used it much in the field, it is just a spectacular lens. Quite pricey but the glass is the most important part of the photo.

When I am not using large format for product photography I use the three Nikon PC-E lenses, in order of my most common use: the 85 mm, the 45 mm and the 24 mm. Personally I would recommend lenses like those, ie with tilt. It's very useful.

Best,
Helen

Are you shooting your kit lens at it's maximum aperture? Don't do that.

Are you using a tripod, as well as a remote/self timer and mirror lock up? If not, do that.

Im shooting at around f11?
I do use a tripod with remote, not tried the mirror lock tho.

Most reactions

Back