480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In scanning my dad's old Kodachrome slides from the '50s and '60s, what wonderful memories they stir up in me as I look at myself as a 3-year-old at Disneyland, or at 8 standing in the waters of the Atlantic south of Miami picking up sand dollars. The railway at Pike's Peak in Colorado. The brilliant colors of Bryce Canyon. An old cemetery in Concord, Massachusetts. Wildlife along the Going To The Sun Road. Devil's Tower. Golden Gate Bridge. Grand Canyon. Wolf Creek Pass. Niagara Falls. Arches. Gardens of the Gods. Craters of the Moon.

However, I noticed a very 'unhappy' trend in scanning these half-decade old images,..... and I recall that trend all too well as we traveled the country when I was growing up.

In my teens, I started to get interested in photography, in part due to your travels (I have been fortunate to have been in 47 of the Lower 48). However, one thing that irked me in those years is the rigid schedule my dad imparted on our travels. Many a time I wanted to 'stop and take a photo', only to be told, "No, we need to be in Denver/Portland/St. Augustine/Odessa/Helena/wherever by 3:00."

Although many of his photos were taken from scenic overlooks and such, I've found a lot of them taken from a moving vehicle. Just like this one:

Batch1120post.jpg

Now I realize Dad wasn't a great photographer (he never claimed to be), and didn't have a better camera than his $18 1962 Tenax Automatic. All he was after was snapshots. But how sad it is that such a rich opportunity was lost simply because he didn't want to even slow down. I'll admit many of his images are less than ideal, due in part by the poor optics he was using, not adjusting the focus on the rangefinder camera, and many more simply improperly exposed by what I'm sure was not setting the ASA on the camera correctly when loading another roll. But still..... I absolutely cringe when I see a shot like this and think of the tremendous opportunity that was let slip away.

I recall specifically wanting to take a shot of a stand of aspens outside Aston, ID, we passed at least 100 times. It wasn't until 2012 that I was able to actually stop and take it, and it was because I was traveling solo.

To date, I have only found two 'keepers' out of about 850 images of his. Moral of the story: If you see a shot, pull over (safely!) and take your time getting it.

Rant over.

I've been forcing myself to carry my camera more, and be willing to stop and take a few pictures. It's hard to recondition yourself to go from "Hey, that'd be a nice shot" to "Hey, let me stop and see what I can do with this."

Well when/if you take a family on road trips, you can stop! And then your kids 20 years later will complain on some other forum about how their dad would annoyingly stop every 5 seconds and take boring photos, and how it was a wasted opportunity that they could have gotten to Portland by 3:00 if you hadn't.

:D

Well when/if you take a family on road trips, you can stop! And then your kids 20 years later will complain on some other forum about how their dad would annoyingly stop every 5 seconds and take boring photos.

Kid free. going to drive up the pacific coast in May and you better believe I'm stopping.

Well when/if you take a family on road trips, you can stop! And then your kids 20 years later will complain on some other forum about how their dad would annoyingly stop every 5 seconds and take boring photos, and how it was a wasted opportunity that they could have gotten to Portland by 3:00 if you hadn't.

I'd just tell 'em, "Tough Cookies. If you don't like it, take the bus". :king:

I know my daughter already complains to her friends about me doing this so it is all about the priorities of the person doing the complaining. However, I think in the end, whether she becomes more interested in photography or not, the lesson to stop and take your time to do something you enjoy when an opportunity presents itself is a good one for today's kids.

Well when/if you take a family on road trips, you can stop! And then your kids 20 years later will complain on some other forum about how their dad would annoyingly stop every 5 seconds and take boring photos.

Kid free. going to drive up the pacific coast in May and you better believe I'm stopping.

I envy your kid free trip!!! We're taking a family road trip driving from San Diego to San Francisco in June stopping overnight several times along the way. We've got a good amount of kids activities mixed in with the sight-seeing/photo ops (zoo, aquarium, Legoland, Universal Studios etc.) My plan for this trip is that I'm giving my old D60 with the 18-55 kit lens to my 11 year old daughter and she is going to take her own pictures. She wants to be a videographer so she does have some interest. She got a new video camera for Christmas and is going to vlog our trip. I'm most looking forward to our overnight at Big Sur Lodge. I have not told the family yet that there are no tvs or wifi in the rooms, lol. That will be my secret until we get there.

that's actually a pretty kewl photo, albeit with a bit of motion ...

having kids, I've learned to get there as quick as possible before one of them has to go to the bathroom, starts arguing with another kid, etc. then the trip becomes unbearable.

Sparky...DO what I do...make a series of them and call it "As In A Dream"....

I did a whole passel of my own offhanded snaps that way...I told myself they were "Dream Fragments"...as with so,so many things in photography, it's alllllll in how you frame the situation. :)

I envy your kid free trip!!! We're taking a family road trip driving from San Diego to San Francisco in June stopping overnight several times along the way.

We're doing Santa Barbara, to SF, to Napa. Will bring the 'ol D600 and 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 VC's. ;)

I did a whole passel of my own offhanded snaps that way...I told myself they were "Dream Fragments"...as with so,so many things in photography, it's alllllll in how you frame the situation. :)

Great idea Derrel. Ok folks, stand by for my next series, "When I was off my meds".. lol

Well, I do have a plan to post some of them here, but I'm not going to hint as to what it's going to be about.

Take it as it is, not as it could be.

he is trying to inspire others to not make the same mistake that his father did. Take time to smell the rose instead of just passing by and looking at them.

Most reactions

Back