Stop on this thread :)

eyeadoreu_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm starting out photography, & i'm enjoying the forum! But I have a question, for my first camera, would a Nikon n5005 be okay? My stepdad's giving it to me as a gift, and I like to take cityscape photos along with portraits. Leave any feedback, thank you! :)

Yes, a Nikon n5005 would be okay.

The Nikon n5005 is a film camera. While it was a great camera to learn on years ago, a digital camera will be cheaper in the long run as you won't be developing film. The days of film were stressful, shoot, cross your fingers, drop off film, wait, get results... you have to write down what you shot and how you shot it... just a lot of work for a beginner in the digital age... I'd get a digital SLR if I were you... Just my 2 pennies....

The Nikon n5005 is a film camera. While it was a great camera to learn on years ago, a digital camera will be cheaper in the long run as you won't be developing film. The days of film were stressful, shoot, cross your fingers, drop off film, wait, get results... you have to write down what you shot and how you shot it... just a lot of work for a beginner in the digital age... I'd get a digital SLR if I were you... Just my 2 pennies....

Desmond you do realize that he posted on the film discussion board right.

There is NOTHING wrong with starting out learning photography using film. And developing your own film is a lot of fun. Shooting film is a lot more rewarding.

Des, the N5005 will be fine to start but you need to work out which lenses you'll be using.

Read everything you can on the net about exposure, depth of field, light as it's concerned with photography- angles, color, diffused or hard and so forth. Learn about lenshoods.

Make yourself a 4x6 inch rectangle out of black construction paper or cardboard and carry it around to get used to seeing things the way a camera sees them.

Look at lots of photo galleries and decide what you like (it's all about you here no matter what anyone else says) then try to figure out how those photos were made. Notice how they were composed -how things fit together in the scene and what's in the scene.

Take LOTS of notes about each shot- what you were trying for, the conditions, position of the sun, camera settings, how lunch was sitting on your stomach (just anything really to help you remember what was going on) whatever- you won't learn nearly as fast if you can't remember what you did that got you those results.

Good luck and good shooting.

I never knew there was that much stress to shoot9ing film. I havebeen doing it for more th an 60 years and I don't have any doubt of what 9is going to turn out. I test the camera first so I know it is working before putting it in my user collect9ion. I like shooting with the oldies.

Also, if you have to cross your fingers every time you take a shot, you're probably not doing it right ;)

Enjoy! Its not about the destination its about the journey. Continual learning is the fun part
icon10.gif

I like the spirit displayed here. :thumbup::thumbup:

Also, if you have to cross your fingers every time you take a shot, you're probably not doing it right ;)
Agreed. I don't understand why digital enthusiasts feel the need to turn someone away from using a film camera. The OP is getting a dandy FREE camera, perfectly good equipment. If you really have to hang on to a little preview screen in order to have confidence you captured an image, what have you learned about photography?

(And this is not directed specifically at Desmond; I am growing a little tired of the across the board knee-jerk reaction to film cameras. Gracious me; how'd we ever limp along these past 100+ years without chimping?) :lol:

What's more important is the glass you would be using. A 50mm would be ideal, but it sounds like you have specific photos you would like to take, so focus more on getting the appropriate. A camera is a light tight box with a hole in it, the glass is what ultimately determines the quality of your photos.

Agreed. I don't understand why digital enthusiasts feel the need to turn someone away from using a film camera. The OP is getting a dandy FREE camera, perfectly good equipment. If you really have to hang on to a little preview screen in order to have confidence you captured an image, what have you learned about photography?

(And this is not directed specifically at Desmond; I am growing a little tired of the across the board knee-jerk reaction to film cameras. Gracious me; how'd we ever limp along these past 100+ years without chimping?) :lol:

Whenever I hear someone trying to turn people away from film because digital is easier i think of this quote from Ansel Adams, and he said this before digital photography.

"I have often thought that if photography were difficult in the true sense of the term — meaning that the creation of a simple photograph would entail as much time and effort as the production of a good watercolor or etching — there would be a vast improvement in total output. The sheer ease with which we can produce a superficial image often leads to creative disaster." - Ansel Adams

I don't really understand where you're coming from on the shoot, cross your fingers part. I thought spray and pray was a development of the digital error.

Shooting film is a great way to learn photography, the N5005 is a good camera for a beginner to learn with. It has multiple modes for setting exposure: full-program Shutter priority- you set shutter speed, it sets aperture; aperture priority- you set lens opening, it sets shutter speed; and full manual- you set both.

You will need "AF lenses" for the meter to work, made since 1988. Wide-selection, fairly inexpensive for some good starter lenses.

And you don't have to worry and dust on the digital sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back