Storm picture looking for some editing advice.

Scott Kasper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, storm chaser here. I still have a lot to learn about photography and editing and would like some advice on this picture. This is a picture of an incredible storm earlier this year. I have been having trouble fixing the over-exposed sunlight area on the center-left side of the picture in a way that looks natural and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I am using Lightroom 5.7.1.

20160703-DSC_1037.jpg

Hi Scott,
you'd need an image editing software that works with layers, like Photoshop.
did you shoot RAW?

If not: there's probably no a lot of information in the overexposed area, and you won't have a lot of options. If you do have a darker version of this image, even a different angle, you can use an image editing software to resize and rotate that portion so that it fits in, and then mask the area.

If yes, you can export two different versions (one where the bright area is well exposed), and mask the bright area in Photoshop. You might need to practice a bit, but you'll use that new knowledge over and over, promised ;).

storm.jpg
Here's a quick edit. Would be easier with the RAW file. Edits are blow.
Exposure -0.55
Highlights -100
Shadows +93
Whites -56

Last edited:
Here's the best I could do super-quick on Elements 14. Think I prefer the original version with the blown-out spot. Nice capture. You can exposure stack by bracketing next time if you have time.
20160703-DSC_1037.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back