Story Of A New Photographer

LeftBehind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am 15 years old and have always loved viewing all the beautiful pictures on Deviant Art. In the back of my mind I'd always thought that I would never afford a DSLR, but i still spent many hours browsing, and submitting my own photo manipulations. During my grade 10 year I had a teacher that was heavily into photography, i would get three or four classes ahead, and because it was a skill based class-drafting- he couldn't simply give me new assignments, this resulted in free time to play with his 20d.
Using this camera gave me an exhilarating feeling. I was stoked everyday to come to class and find new pictures to take, of fellow pupils and objects around,using his Macro lens. The moment I took my first shot I knew that i had to get a camera of my own, and although I may not be able to get one of similar quality due to lack of funds, I knew I had to get my very own. Feeling the shutter quickly snap as I pressed the button after that first picture prompted me to spend every night reading about all of the functions and how to use the camera to the best of it, and my ability. I went out and bought a pack of pens, went seeking out numbers i could use for references, and created a resume I would easily call perfect. I applied everywhere I could, no bias, I didn't care what they needed.
I had three interviews the first month, they all said I was a great candidate , but unfortionitely too young, many places required you to be the age of 16,and that i should come back then; this just was not good enough. I searched, when I was started I was only three months into my fifteenth year, when I found a job at a local Burger King, it was three months later, and I still wanted that camera more than ever. I started right after my last day of grade 10, determined to get that camera. I picked up every shift I could, working close to forty hours a week.
I wasn't aiming for the most expensive camera, I knew the funds wouldn't flow like this when I started school again, so I aimed low, very low, and decided it would be best to get the best lenses I could after purchasing the camera. I searched all over for the best prices, and the K110D was on sale the day I got my second check, I had just enough, well actually I was a dollar twenty-five short, but that wasn't a problem.I purchased the camera, and used the case for my dad's old Nikon Film camera, it barely fits. Three days off?Perfect, I went to a local lake and got some cool pictures of a falling apart tree house, the field, the night, reflections of the water.
When asked if I'm a photographer, I give my standard, humble reply, which must sound rehearsed ; "I aspire to be".
My list just seems to run on forever,but Mary-Sue, my camera, and I have our whole lives together to get it done. I've had no problems so far, except for losing a lens cap in a field in the middle of the night, I almost cried, I as disappointed in myself, I didn't even get a nice shot, my hand wasn't steady enough for night shots, i knew it, i had to try. I've purchased a tripod since, and am aiming to get a fast Prime lens and a Telephoto.
Aside from doing some photomanips and having a lot of fun with Photoshop, I've never had a hobby, and I'm glad to make photography mine. I live in a relatively small city, Winnipeg, with roughly 500,000 people, a small town mentality, and the capitol of a prairie province.
I know once school starts I'll have it with me all day, my hands on my bag waiting for lunch or my next spare to experiment with new shots, I'll be at all the events, and hopefully produce some good shots for the school, I'm not on year book, I'm not a big fan of structured, extra curricular activities, but I plan on sharing my shots. I've found what I love, it's all I think about. The novelty where off, but I know the wont. I've had it for two weeks and already my friends can't remember what I look like without it, or the backpack that i put it's case in.
I can't seem to find enough time shoot, between all the hours I get at work, everyday off I shoot with all the daylight I can get, and now with a tripod will experiment with light. I know there's so much to learn and I can never seem to give my image a certain polish that i see form so many other photographers, it might be my lack of post processesing knowledge, or just that my skills are very undeveloped, but I read and try to learn more whenever I'm not working or taking pictures.
I've come to this forum and others like it to learn about, and interact with other photographers, as aside from that teacher, I know none, and would love to learn more. I love nature photography, and although I have very little skill in the area, I love portraits too. Friends of mine are intimidated by the noise of the shutter, or light from the flash, and rarely allow me to take any pictures.
I plan on making the most of the city I live in, and taking a trip to BC next summer with a few friends who support my obsession with photography. I plan on getting many panoramas and pictures of the mountains and beautiful towns. I will walk around my city, the downtown, and take a stab at urban photography, I have a lot of experimenting to do and would love read everything people in this forum have to say.
First post.

My first shots can be seen on my deviant art. Http://Possesedsmurf.deviantart.com .

That's quite a post, but I read it all and let me say welcome. Congratulations on your tenacity; it's admirable that a 15 year old can have a goal like buying a relatively expensive camera and actually follow through on getting a job, saving, and finally making the purchase. Most 15 year olds I know would give up after a couple interviews, or after the first week or so of "losing" their summer to work, or worse yet just sit at home and play video games.

I recently bought my first DSLR as well, the K100D (essentially the same camera as yours), and I only wish I could get out and use it more.
I'll look forward to seeing your gallery.

That's quite a post, but I read it all and let me say welcome. Congratulations on your tenacity; it's admirable that a 15 year old can have a goal like buying a relatively expensive camera and actually follow through on getting a job, saving, and finally making the purchase. Most 15 year olds I know would give up after a couple interviews, or after the first week or so of "losing" their summer to work, or worse yet just sit at home and play video games.

I recently bought my first DSLR as well, the K100D (essentially the same camera as yours), and I only wish I could get out and use it more.
I'll look forward to seeing your gallery.
I completely agree. Recently I've been working so much, and I've yet to be comfortable with myself and my ability to find great, not just good, subjects. I know this will only come with practice, and i hope to get as much of it in as possible. I have a day off on thursday, my first in a solid two weeks. Because i live int he heart of a very boring, suburban part of my city,regretfully I see very little to take pictures, and without the available use of a car I have found myself walking a good hour or three to get a good picture. The k100D is now on sale for 10 dollars less than I payed, It broke my heart.

There will always be a "better" deal that comes around a week after you made the purchase. Since I bought my K100D they've released the K100D Super, which has the self-cleaning sensor, and I almost regret not having waited just a little longer.

In a couple weeks more I'm sure there will be another great deal, and I'd wish I had waited for that, too :)

I heard "self-cleaning sensors" don't work all that well.

Anyways, that is well... an excellent post. I can't believe how hard you worked just to earn money for a camera.

I find it a lot more helpful, and fun, if you find someone to shoot with, i have a few people i know of, but there stuck with 35mm :D

The K100D and K110D are Pentax cameras.

I find it a lot more helpful, and fun, if you find someone to shoot with, i have a few people i know of, but there stuck with 35mm :D
I haven't had too much time to shoot, and know of no other photographers that I could shoot with. On Thursday a friend of mine is tagging along while I shoot because he knows the area much better than I do and one wrong turn and I'm in the 'ghetto', liable to get my camera stolen.

Oh the ghettos of Winnipeg, known the world over for their ruthless underground digital camera trade :lol:

I should really take a day this weekend and go shoot in DC; it's pretty sad I've got all those landmarks next door and haven't bothered to photograph them. Now that place has some neighborhoods to avoid.

Oh the ghettos of Winnipeg, known the world over for their ruthless underground digital camera trade :lol:

I should really take a day this weekend and go shoot in DC; it's pretty sad I've got all those landmarks next door and haven't bothered to photograph them. Now that place has some neighborhoods to avoid.
You gave me a good laugh with that one. I'll be sure to share my pictures tomorrow night.

Hmm... half of my friends make fun of me and the other half complement me, I guess I should get some new friends.

I've updated my Deviantart with pictures that I have taken throughout today. Please, if you have time respond with any feedback possible. I am quite proud and happy with the shots that I put up there, but would love any honest feedback you could give me.
I've been getting bugged by my parents to enter Costco's photography contest, and have told them countless times that I do not want to enter, but might just to get them off my case. The only reason I have yet to enter, possibly is because you must mail them a 5x7 print. I've never had to prepare my images for printing, and am happy with they way they are cropped, but may try it anyway, even though I know I will not win.

Leftbehind,

Don't count out joining the yearbook. When I was in high school, being the yearbook photographer was the best excuse ever for skipping class to play with my camera. I'd walk in, tell the teacher "Hey I have to go take pictures of the baseball team" and they'd let me out of class. Uhh not that I advocate skipping class or anything....

Have fun with your Pentax, and don't forget about all those great old used lenses available for cheap, they all work on your camera.

Most reactions

Back