Story, read at own responsibility.

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One year ago I took a course called "Extended Organic Chemistry" (EOG), worth 20 points. (you American folks probably need to divide that number to two, to convert it to your system). I got a C. I wasn't happy with that C, because 20 points weighs very heavily down my average which is just under B. If I retook the course and got a B, I'm pretty sure I'd have B as average. I had to wait a year to retake the course.

I screwed up on a spectroscopy exercise.

In the mean time, I took a course called "Applied Organic Spectroscopy". Really interesting, and basically just solving brain teasers. I got a B.

I read some during the semester, but prioritized the other courses. I remembered surprisingly much. The exam came, and I felt I nailed the spectroscopy exercises.

However, I did not. The rest of the exam was sufficient for a strong C, + I had two As from some small tests during the semester that weighed 15 % and full score from the lab course. I made 35 % on the last exercise, which was spectroscopy. All in all, I was 2 % points away from the B I wanted.

I'm planning on sending a formal complaint. Not because I thought my professor's reasoning was bad, but because there is a slight chance I might be favored. Unethical? Maybe, but I don't care ;)

:banghead::banghead::banghead::madass::madass::madass::madass:

I have no idea how the Norwegian educational systems works but based on my experience I assume it has a lot to do with going flat out over blind crests and reindeer blood.

Don't know how it works there, but over here that's certainly not unheard of. At some colleges though, it's more often the parent doing the complaining than the student.

It's always worth going over the details when you were close to the higher grade. You or the professor might catch some minor grading error or at least you would have a chance to review the exam and possibly learn from the experience. This all assumes that this is an amicable process and not something really adversarial. If the latter, then it may not be worth the bad feelings that may result.

We had 3,5 hours during the exam, and I wrote my last word when the bell rang - or so close it doesn't matter. No time to review during, at least.

If I send a formal complaint, it will be censured all over again by new people. I can't get a worse grade as it's already a very strong C, but they might, just might, put me on a very, very weak B. Existentially, a very small difference, but it will impact my average pretty much.

Did I work hard enough to earn a B? I think so, but you're not always as good during a stressful exam as you are solving exam problem beforehand.

but you're not always as good during a stressful exam as you are solving exam problem beforehand.

Well that is life in a nutshell. When I have to do a big presentation I have to bring my A game. I can't ask a client for a do over if I make a mistake or don't get the response I was hoping for.

Take this as a life lesson and learn to not let high pressure situations affect your performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back