Strange challenge for instant film

Adam Moore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The subject: a neon sign against a white wall.

The task: to take a picture using a vintage instant camera that still retains the subjects color and shape. To actually still be able to read the sign.

The film: impossible px70 color shade push

This has failed many times for me so far and I'm tired of wasting film. Ay suggestions?

What do your current attempts look like?

I haven't used an instant camera in a long time, so I don't have any real advice... I am kinda interested in seeing the pictures though.

(You might have better luck posting in the film section...)

Instant camera? Kinda impossible.. does it meter the scene? Is it firing the flash? I don't see how you could get the right exposure without actually being able to set it up. You could try taping over the flash if it's firing.

@Steve: never!

@Josh: thanks, I think I will try the film section too. I don't have any of my attempts yet because I haven't scanned them, but no matter the range, they just appear as a bright spot, no color distinction, no shape, as if I were taking a picture of a single bright light.

@Reznap: well, this is a pretty old, very simple camera. I don't think it has the ability to meter anything. As for the flash, it's detatchible. I've tried the shot with and without flash. You might laugh, but the tools at my disposal are an exposure wheel and a focus wheel. The camera I'm using is the one shown on my avatar. If there is some bit of equipment that I could use to make this work (no digital jokes, the first responder already tried that lol) Please let me know! Some kind of filter perhaps?

It's hard to tell what the problem is without pictures posted.

I don't think your camera has a filter mount... And if it does, good luck finding filters for it.

You're right, it doesn't look like it does, but there is always duct tape. And I'm sure you're right about finding them too but after dealing with this old thing for a while I've discovered that somewhere in the world there's always somebody that makes an analog for what you need. It was just a thought though. I've got this post up on multiple websites and judging by some of the answers I'm getting I think the camera may be incapable of taking the shot in question (at least with the equipment I already have.)

However, heres another thought: somebody on another forum made the comment " I thought that's what pinholes were for. Just get a holga and Polaroid back.". Now, while I know what those items are and exactly where to find them, does anybody care to explain why and how that would work?

Thanks!

It's hard to tell what the problem is without pictures posted.

Yea, somebody else was asking for the same thing and as soon as I've been able to scan them I will surely post one or two so you can see what I mean.

I suppose I would have to say way overexposed. Especially when trying to capture something else in the picture. The neon sign just looks like a bright light with no distinguishable shape or color.

Edit, it should be known that I have tried everything short of shining a flashlight directly into the light sensor during exposure to trick it into the fastest shutter speed..

I suppose I would have to say way overexposed. Especially when trying to capture something else in the picture. The neon sign just looks like a bright light with no distinguishable shape or color.

Edit, it should be known that I have tried everything short of shining a flashlight directly into the light sensor during exposure to trick it into the fastest shutter speed..
In that case, I'd totally shine a flashlight into the sensor. If it underexposes, start filtering the flashlight a stop at a time till you get it right.

Ok. I guess it's worth one more shot. Do you suppose that would result in Anything else in the shot being super dark?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back