What's new

Strap Recommendation Needed

Looks like I'll be getting a R-strap! If anyone notices a deal while browsing around, feel free to post it here!


Edit: Oh man, I don't know anymore; I've been reading up on reviews and some people claim that the R-strap is more trouble than it's worth!
In what way?

I've read reports that the screw that goes into the tripod mount can get loose once in a while. That's scary! Also that the shoulder strap would slide around, but I've seen a video with the "proper technique" to keep the strap in place.
Interesting. A lot of folks around these parts love them, and I haven't read any complaints on them yet. I can't personally speak for them first hand though.

I myself have been using the Mzungu Strap, which I got before I ever heard of the Black Rapid. It works great for me - no problems or complaints at all.
 
The Mzungu definitely looks like a simplified form of the R-strap. Very neat. I love the look of the HighKey straps; That style is very subjective to opinion, though. Wish they made them longer.. R-strap is still my number one choice, so far.

EDIT: Black Rapid (BlackRapid) on Twitter Apparently the RS-7 has been announced.. can't find any information on it, though.
 
Last edited:
I certainly don't think it's "more trouble than it's worth." Look through the videos on their site, and like you said, you'll see the one where he demonstrates the point that you're supposed to keep tension on the strap as you pull the camera up. If you don't, the strap will sometimes move, but that's also why they have the stopper to bring it back into place when you put the camera down.

I've never had a problem with the screw coming loose. The rubber built on to it seems to keep it very snug, and I don't think it's too much of a hassle to just periodically check to make sure it's not loose just to ease your mind if nothing else. Again, in one of their videos, I remember him even wetting it before screwing it into the body. I guess doing this might help the rubber grab better (?).
 
I use the OpTech Pro but not the loop model. It is too short for me. Hey, I'm fat. I carry my camera across my body as does the original poster because I can position the camera in front of my body, behind my body, or on my side conveniently and it will ride there. The sliding ring type of strap doesn't look like it would do that as well as a standard strap.

I carry my camera every time I leave my apartment and the OpTech lasts three or four years. It looks pretty grim after one year but works well.
 
Looks like I'll be getting a R-strap! If anyone notices a deal while browsing around, feel free to post it here!


Edit: Oh man, I don't know anymore; I've been reading up on reviews and some people claim that the R-strap is more trouble than it's worth!
At some point you have to make up your own mind....or you'll never get a strap...:lol:

It's just a freakin' strap!:lmao:
 
Quick q with the black rapid would i have to constantly unscrew the strap from the tripod mount so I can attach the quick release plate?
 
I use the optech strap. I'm not a big guy so it's more than long enough to go across my chest or just over the shoulder. The crumpler industry disgrace is great for wearing around the neck.
 
ya i think the optech seems like a nice simple strap.
 
Looks like I'll be getting a R-strap! If anyone notices a deal while browsing around, feel free to post it here!


Edit: Oh man, I don't know anymore; I've been reading up on reviews and some people claim that the R-strap is more trouble than it's worth!
At some point you have to make up your own mind....or you'll never get a strap...:lol:

It's just a freakin' strap!:lmao:

I know, I know! I'm getting a BlackRapid for sure, at this point it's just waiting it out for the RS-7 :lol:

Quick q with the black rapid would i have to constantly unscrew the strap from the tripod mount so I can attach the quick release plate?

You can actually attach the strap TO the D ring on most quick release plates!
 
Looks like I'll be getting a R-strap! If anyone notices a deal while browsing around, feel free to post it here!


Edit: Oh man, I don't know anymore; I've been reading up on reviews and some people claim that the R-strap is more trouble than it's worth!
At some point you have to make up your own mind....or you'll never get a strap...:lol:

It's just a freakin' strap!:lmao:

I know, I know! I'm getting a BlackRapid for sure, at this point it's just waiting it out for the RS-7 :lol:

Quick q with the black rapid would i have to constantly unscrew the strap from the tripod mount so I can attach the quick release plate?

You can actually attach the strap TO the D ring on most quick release plates!
Oh hmm thats pretty sweet then.
 
I use a old laptop case strap. I clip the strap to itself to make a large loop, then I hook the existing clip to the camera's left eyelet using a larger sized keyring holder. It works exactly like the Black Rapid strap and cost me all of zero dollars (wasn't even using the laptop case anymore).

The only thing I'm looking for now is a little bit better strap to do this with...but for the price, it's hard to beat, and hanging on my side is SO much better than in front of me, poking out from my chest.
 
For every day usage (5DII + 24-105), I have a PacSafe100 - strap itself is a little stiff, but it is "secure" - has a wire running through strap. The neck piece is stiff and small so I would not want to use around neck with a heavy lens.
PacSafe CarrySafe 100 Secure Camera Strap - Free Shipping

I also use OpTech Pro straps - you can find on Amazon. The section that presses on neck is large and squishy so this is perfect for me with heavy lens (30D + 150-500)
 
Looks like I'll be getting a R-strap! If anyone notices a deal while browsing around, feel free to post it here!


Edit: Oh man, I don't know anymore; I've been reading up on reviews and some people claim that the R-strap is more trouble than it's worth!
In what way?

I've read reports that the screw that goes into the tripod mount can get loose once in a while. That's scary! Also that the shoulder strap would slide around, but I've seen a video with the "proper technique" to keep the strap in place.


true, My screw came loose once (but i am sure that was my own fault)
I have no problems with my Black rapid, I can run and my camera is still safe (with the exception to my lens cap falling off... however that is nothing to do with the strap.)

As stated ^ it is 1" wide which is in a way.. .annoying since I cant fit my Canon Wireless remote onto it, but thats small enough to fit in my pocket..

The "correct way" to set the strap...
Adjust the length so the camera rests at your hip and you hand can hold the grip nicely then use the little slider thing to lock your camera in place.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom