strap suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, the Nikon 70-200 has a 1/4-20 socket in the lens ... not just on the collar...? Is that correct? As in, it's not in some part that can be physically removed from the lens?

I know that on my (Canon) 70-200, there is no way in HELL I would ever attach a strap to the tripod collar. It is just simply too easy to remove.

I know the bigger lenses have their own dedicated sling loops, but that's different...

Are you saying the tripod collar is too easy to remove? You know Canon collars don't come off unless the lens is detached from the camera, right? Even if it did comes loose some how, your camera wouldn't be going anywhere. I have no issue with connecting to the collar on my 70-200. It just provides better balance.
Umm... That is just incorrect. On the 70-200 f/4L anyway (and it appears on all 4 of the Canon 70-200's), the collar can come OFF - quite easily I might add - without removing the lens.

Turn the knob, it's loose. Pull the knob (after turning it), it opens.

edit
Maybe it's just the f/4 versions. The collar on the 2.8 is different.

From what I understand, the Nikon 70-200 has a 1/4-20 socket in the lens ... not just on the collar...? Is that correct? As in, it's not in some part that can be physically removed from the lens?

I know that on my (Canon) 70-200, there is no way in HELL I would ever attach a strap to the tripod collar. It is just simply too easy to remove.

I know the bigger lenses have their own dedicated sling loops, but that's different...

Are you saying the tripod collar is too easy to remove? You know Canon collars don't come off unless the lens is detached from the camera, right? Even if it did comes loose some how, your camera wouldn't be going anywhere. I have no issue with connecting to the collar on my 70-200. It just provides better balance.
Umm... That is just incorrect. On the 70-200 f/4L anyway (and it appears on all 4 of the Canon 70-200's), the collar can come OFF - quite easily I might add - without removing the lens.

edit

Never tried the collar on the f/4. The one on the f/2.8 definitely does not come off unless you remove the lens. The f/4 is light enough so you can attach a sling to the body, anyways.

edit

Never tried the collar on the f/4. The one on the f/2.8 definitely does not come off unless you remove the lens. The f/4 is light enough so you can attach a sling to the body, anyways.
Well, I'll tell you right now - the collar for the f/4 versions (they both use the same collar) will readily come completely off, with the lens mounted.

Even the non-IS f/4 is heavier than most bodies, so I think using the collar is a good idea (I always say that you should mount the tripod to the heaviest item, between the body & the lens). But I would not count on it staying attached to the lens if it had a strap connected to it.

In fact, if it had a strap connected to it, I can guarantee you that it will come off - just because Murphy is a twisted mother****er.

Well, I use my Black Rapid and attach to either the camera or tripod collar if the lens has one. Never had much of a problem with it flopping around, but then again, I'm not often doing wind sprints when I am carrying a camera.

As far as the hardware failing, I believe that was an issue about 3 years ago. It has been resolved.

I have 100% confidence in both Nikons design of the tripod mount and the black rapid strap.

To each their own, but to say something is not a reliable mount because one person saw a camera fall is, IMO, a bit of a stretch. Heck, if you want to make sure your camera is never, ever damaged, leave it in the box and put it in a waterproof, fireproof safe.

For the rest of us, we'll just go about our normal business, without having a pain in the neck at the end of a 10 hour wedding. Just my .02

Kerbouchard said:
Well, I use my Black Rapid and attach to either the camera or tripod collar if the lens has one. Never had much of a problem with it flopping around, but then again, I'm not often doing wind sprints when I am carrying a camera.

As far as the hardware failing, I believe that was an issue about 3 years ago. It has been resolved.

I have 100% confidence in both Nikons design of the tripod mount and the black rapid strap.

To each their own, but to say something is not a reliable mount because one person saw a camera fall is, IMO, a bit of a stretch. Heck, if you want to make sure your camera is never, ever damaged, leave it in the box and put it in a waterproof, fireproof safe.

For the rest of us, we'll just go about our normal business, without having a pain in the neck at the end of a 10 hour wedding. Just my .02

I ordered a BR Strap it will be here tomorrow thanks for the info

I spent about 20 minutes searching for camera sling failures on Google and YouTube and didn't find anything. As a result I am going to assume that neither system is prone to failure and the few cases that might pop up would be more than likely to be a faulty unit, fluke or just plain bad luck. I'd get whatever you are most comfortable with, don't be stupid with it and you should be fine. I am in the market for an alternative to my neck strap and I'm not sure with type of system I will go with yet. Perhaps something that could utilize both connectors. Take a sturdy strap and connectors, put it on the neck strap connectors and feed it through the sling so that if the sling hardware fails the neck strap will prevent the camera from hitting the ground. Who knows, could work...

but to say something is not a reliable mount because one person saw a camera fall is, IMO, a bit of a stretch.
I believe it was significantly more than just one person. It was a big enough problem that they had to redesign the strap, or am I smoking crack?

If the f/2.8 collars are better than the f/4 collars - good. I would never let the f/4 collar be the only thing between my camera and the ground though...

Kerbouchard said:

I ordered a BR Strap it will be here tomorrow thanks for the info

congrats~ you're going to love it

2WheelPhoto said:
congrats~ you're going to love it

I got the RS7 coming I can't wait I'm tired of the Nikon neck strap

Yes, I think a few years ago, they had an issue with some of their carabiners, themselves breaking and the company was replacing them proactively, free of charge, even if yours wasnt broke. That does speak volumes for their customer service, for sure.

Not sure that replacing defective hardware free of charge "speaks volumes" about anything... I would expect no less from any company...

TheBiles said:
This is completely different from "Oh, I saw a guy at the mall who's camera fell off the strap but I don't have any information about the kind of strap or how it was attached!"

I hope you are not trying to quote what I said earlier, bit of you are, you ate doing a lousy job and twisting facts to suits your own argument.

Not sure that replacing defective hardware free of charge "speaks volumes" about anything... I would expect no less from any company...
I think it does if they are replacing parts that havent broken yet. Not too many would do that voluntarily.

I think it does if they are replacing parts that havent broken yet. Not too many would do that voluntarily.
BUT, they were parts that were known to be faulty. How is that different than a recall on some part in your car?

It hasn't broken yet, but they know it probably will eventually, so they replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back