What's new

Street Photography for my Photojournalism class

Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
764
Location
Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
First off I would recommend you number your photos, it's easier for us to critique them.

#1 - I think this is a cool concept, I'm just not sure if that's the right background for it.

#2 - I really like this one. From the name of the building really resembles We're Serious to the bmx and the skateboard to show why they're getting a ticket. The other fact is that it brings back a lot of memories lol. I've been in that same situation, or running away at least, many, many times.

#3 - Cool shot, although I kind of wish he was either complete in the frame or a tighter crop.

#4 - Not much to say...

#5 - I really like. everyone seems happy and gives a nice vibe.
 
I wonder if the cars in number one had motion blur to them, it would help with the title concept?

I use to skateboard as well and it was fun to watch these guys. One of the kids kept bailing on gapping the steps you see in the mid ground and eventually the officers came out. Kind of surprised they didnt ask for my ID (would have just laughed and walked away) but still.

For number four, I was in this little shop that was something along the lines of "Weird Oddities" and the guy in the foreground had just bought the fake mustache he is wearing. We all walked out at the same time and everyone was getting a laugh out of him putting it on.

One of the things I really wanted to capture was the large Hipster scene in Austin, but apparently I wasnt in any one the "cool" spots today. But I did get my assignment done which is the most important thing.
 
No, I think they miss the point.

#1 - reflection is totally distracting and not meaningful in regards the person inside - who isn't doing anything.
#2 - the crucial point is the policeman person interaction and the guy in front is completely blocking it.
#3 - reflection is the big thing - but of what? unrecognizable
#4- guy on bike - from the back. nothing.
#5 -people on the street, unclear what the viewer is supposed to look at or to see.

good street shots have a meaning.

"Street shooting is maybe the hardest niche of all in photography both to explain and to do. The photographer haunts his chosen environment where, perhaps, nothing is happening - people may be just quietly going about their business - and yet he/she to select tiny moments when an image can be snatched which is more than the sum of its parts - where some fleeting coincidence of expression, gesture, positioning, and movement come together to create an instant which holds some undefinable meaning."
 
No, I think they miss the point.

#1 - reflection is totally distracting and not meaningful in regards the person inside - who isn't doing anything.
#2 - the crucial point is the policeman person interaction and the guy in front is completely blocking it.
#3 - reflection is the big thing - but of what? unrecognizable
#4- guy on bike - from the back. nothing.
#5 -people on the street, unclear what the viewer is supposed to look at or to see.

good street shots have a meaning.

"Street shooting is maybe the hardest niche of all in photography both to explain and to do. The photographer haunts his chosen environment where, perhaps, nothing is happening - people may be just quietly going about their business - and yet he/she to select tiny moments when an image can be snatched which is more than the sum of its parts - where some fleeting coincidence of expression, gesture, positioning, and movement come together to create an instant which holds some undefinable meaning."


awesome info thank you!
 
Agree with what TT said... there are those who think that "street photography" is just anything that is shot out and about... but the most important part of street photography... is photography. It has to have impact on the viewer of some kind to work.
 
Thank you guys :) I should have come here and asked around before going out and shooting. But now I know better for next time
 
Without being too puffed up, I think I shoot fairly decent street stuff and that I try to adhere to that quote.

Have a look at these and see how they strike you.
 
#1 to #4 have no real interest or story.
but
#5 has an interesting element with the guy having a "halo", it makes him the focal point even though he is "on the left", probably accidental, but many "street" shots are.
I like that shot.
 
Despite the many flaws in this set, it seems that it was one of the better sets in the class. This up coming week I have to photograph an event and then write about it :shock:
 
You got a serious hipster infestation going on there.
 
Despite the many flaws in this set, it seems that it was one of the better sets in the class. This up coming week I have to photograph an event and then write about it :shock:

Good for you.
Event photography is easier because people are 'trapped' and sort of expect a photographer.
If you want some ideas/hints/suggestions, just start a thread, there are lots of event photographers here.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom