Street shot in full compliance with new EU rules

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(A previous post of mine elicited the information that many (or all) countries in the EU have passed laws making it illegal to take pictures of people in the street, even in public places, under many conditions ) This is actually a design on a bus stop in Paris.

DSC_1128.jpeg

They did what?! Is that serious? So only the government can take pictures of you? I don’t believe there is any enforceable way to even contemplate such a law......

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

(A previous post of mine elicited the information that many (or all) countries in the EU have passed laws making it illegal to take pictures of people in the street, even in public places, under many conditions ) This is actually a design on a bus stop in Paris.

View attachment 166404

Way to go!! Love it

They did what?! Is that serious? So only the government can take pictures of you? I don’t believe there is any enforceable way to even contemplate such a law...

it's less about taking the picture and more about publishing it without permission.

Love it, I WILL carry on taking photos of folk and sharing on my new Flickr.

View attachment 166404
I'm sorry, but this "information" is simply not true, such regulations do not exist within the EU and this also will never happen!
Shocking! Fake news!

Don't worry, Europe talks a load of rot sometimes.......

Looks like I took illegal pics in Portugal this year.
Is it the taking of the pics or the publishing of them online? What if you just took the pics but did not publish them?

Nevertheless, we should all strive to protect the privacy of every European who is out in public like that.

"Im from the government and Im here to help"

Im from Ireland, On a day to day basis the GDPR rules are more or less red tape for businesses more so than anything else. This does however affect the average Joe citizen at times. The main element applies to business and governmental organisations who are meant to keep your data safe, ie not sell or otherwise let carpetbaggers access to your personal details, name, age, social security, email address, bank details etc.
How do business get around this: Well take the internet, prior to these rules coming in if I i was to surf the net I assumed that every site I visited used my data for their own means, sell it on or for some other marketing strategy, now every site that I visit asks me to accept the security rules and if you dont you cannot access the website. If you click accept then the site can sell your data out the back of a van because you have given your consent; so actually all thats changed is that you are reminded your data is being pimped. Flip side I can theoretically at least demand that a company wipe their mainframe or desk drawer of all information the have on me for example facebook would have to wipe me off their system, within the EU.

Generally when I encounter an incompetent company who did something stupid like take money from my bank by mistake a fast solution to getting a refund is to mention GDPR and data breech down the phone and they are forced to jump high and fast as you can make a complaint officially to the government.

As far a photos go citizens have the right to demand that any images or video clips that might identify them can be removed from the public sphere, ie the internet but the enforcement of this would be in the hands of the government and the big firms Google etc :BangHead:. However if you were to offer them a euro to take their portrait that might be construed as them giving you consent to use that image.

Last edited:
So, as an American, what should I expect when traveling to Europe? I like to take photos of my trip with a camera not a cell phone. Movie clips too. Should I save my money and go to Asia?

So, as an American, what should I expect when traveling to Europe? I like to take photos of my trip with a camera not a cell phone. Movie clips too. Should I save my money and go to Asia?

This Canadian & wife have decided to go to Costa Rica next instead of Spain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back