Street...

The posing is not good, his right hand is giving the impression of keep away i don't want to be kissed
I swear, I think you guys are all nuts...certifiably insane. You guys haved your minds so wrapped up in rules, you can't understand or see anything beyond it. I feel sorry for you.

FWIW, it's not a posed shot.

Things like this should be spotted before you take the shot and you instruct them even if it is not a posed shot, you said they asked to be shot so it was not spur of the moment. it's not rules just good observation, something you don't have in this shot

I didn't talk to them until after I had taken the shot...

A reflector? Seriously? It was a grab shot in the middle of downtown. There were no reflectors. There were no assistants. There was no posing. Seriously? Okay, next time I go out for a beer after a wedding, I will bring a staff along just to hold reflectors, help with posing, and, heck, I might as well carry around a background with me while I am at it.

You guys are nuts.

I was not referring to a candid shot like this.. You DID ask if there was a better way to get shots of bi-racial couples.. and even things out a bit, YES? That was where the reflector would come in handy!

Anyway.. you were in a bar! Surely there was something around you could have used as a reflector, to help de-emphasize the poor placement of the light? Towel, pizza box, SOMETHING? If the light had been placed properly.. (or the subjects , in relation to the light) then the problem would not have been so apparent! :)
Okay...Look, I've seen your work. Heck, I just clicked on your flickr feed. You are the last person that needs to be trash talking. Perhaps you should resort to your earlier stance of not responding to my threads. You are now on ignore.

hahahaha... Like that should bother me? ;) (wow.. I wasn't even trash talking!)

The first thing I thought of when I looked at this, was that it's full of emotion. I know little of lighting, but I get a good feeling from watching it. I, at least, think it "looks real", and I would guess that was the main intent with this shot.

I thought street photography was more than getting technically perfect images. I thought it was about capturing moments that many normally miss. This looks like one of those moments. If this shot is "real", as in unposed and as in you just observed and took a picture, then I wouldn't comment on the pose at all, even if he was strangling her whilst kissing. It's a real moment, and they aren't fully aware of how they're standing themselves, I guess. You would need to be at the right place at the right time, and take the shot. You see what's happening, and you don't have several seconds to consider best possible angle.

From what I know, and based on my (limited) experiences, I would say it's a good shot. At least a shot I'd like to have taken myself.

Last edited:
The first thing I thought of when I looked at this, was that it's full of emotion. I know little of lighting, but I get a good feeling from watching it. I, at least, think it "looks real", and I would guess that was the main intent with this shot.

Thank you. That was actually the reason I posted it. I thought it captured a moment. I still do. I'm just sorry this thread got derailed.

Sorry but his hand kills all the emotion, i shoot these sort of shots at evenst under studio lighting and we avoid that hand position like the plague because they do not sell

Sorry but his hand kills all the emotion, i shoot these sort of shots at evenst under studio lighting and we avoid that hand position like the plague because they do not sell
I do apprecitate the feedback, but even if was posed, I don't know that I would have done anything different. For me, the hand placement shows intamacy. I will think about what you said next time a shot like this comes up. I can understand how the palm facing forward could be construed as pushing off. Perhaps, pulling her in would have been more pleasing.

Thank you. That was actually the reason I posted it. I thought it captured a moment. I still do. I'm just sorry this thread got derailed.

Derailed is an understatement...

I agree with Compaq. There is a difference between "studio" shooting and life shooting. I'd like to meet the person who takes their dogs to a dog park and brings reflectors and worries about all the stuff posted before this...... I take my dogs to the park all the time and one thing I've learned? You have a split second to worry about composition, a split second to "worry" about lighting, a split second to worry about exposure, focus, EVERYTHING. So what do you do? Half the time you do nothing, and you take the shots as they come, and you deal with what you get!

And that is the difference. The pictures you get are dirty, they're raw, they're unposed, and they are, in essence, life.

This picture (although not dogs) fits the same bill. It was taken in a moment, and sure the lighting is a bit "off", sure the posing could be "better" but that isn't the point. What does the picture show? Their relationship; through all the small details. Their expressions, their hand placement, their eyes, everything demonstrates the emotion that they feel and that is what shooting life is all about.

If composition rules your existence, then your existence is a box; and isn't being a good photographer all about being outside the box?

I do apprecitate the feedback, but even if was posed, I don't know that I would have done anything different. For me, the hand placement shows intamacy. I will think about what you said next time a shot like this comes up. I can understand how the palm facing forward could be construed as pushing off. Perhaps, pulling her in would have been more pleasing.

Talk to any wedding or studio photographer and they will tell you the same as i am

I took this shot after shooting a wedding. As far as studio photogs, I couldn't care less what they think. Perfect poses aren't what I'm selling. Heck, this shot wasn't even about selling. It was 1:30 in the morning, I had stopped to have a beer, and took a few pics of people I had never met...a first for me. Normally, if I am taking photos, I am there in some sort of official capacity. This was a grab shot. Had a split second to see it and take it.

If you expect studio perfection out of me, you will be disapointed. I'm just not interested in interrupting somebody's kiss to ask them to adjust their hand. That is ludicrous.

If you actually think about it, I think you may understand. It is a shot of people I have never met, never talked to, and didn't know I was taking their picture. You honestly think it is appropriate to stop them in the middle of a kiss and ask them to move their hands so I can take a picture? Like I said, you guys are insane.

Talk to any wedding or studio photographer and they will tell you the same as i am

Most reactions

Back