Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone.

I've been debating for a bit on whether or not to post these images. Obviously, you can tell now what my decision was. For those reading, I hope you enjoy it regardless. I'd like to hear your comments on the situation, story, photos, etc.

Anyways, I'll get straight to the story.

After a long day of shooting in San Francisco with a fellow photographer friend, mind you we're both nature photographers and this was an experiment for us, we were walking towards the 7-Eleven near Union Square to get drinks. The day had been slow, and subjects we found interesting were far and few between. Personally, I had seen little of the grittiness I was desiring, despite our visiting some less-traveled areas of town. As we walked towards our holy-grail of slurpies and caffeine, I hear something and looked across the street and utter words before even knowing whats happening.

"Dude, those guys are fighting!"

Next thing I know, the camera is instinctively at my face, and I'm snapping away. In all honesty, I didn't give a damn about composition, this was the most exciting thing to happen all day and damn if I wasn't going to at least scrape off a shot or two before it was over.

One frame later, and before I knew it I'm running across traffic, 6D and 70-200 in hand, literally snapping as I crossed lanes. The photojournalist I so rarely get to let out in our quiet university town (Davis, CA) was out of the cage.

Untitled by TogaLive, on Flickr

Approaching the two, another man had arrived as well, phone at the ready.

"Your calling 911, right?" I asked.
"Yup."

As it turned out, the man in shorts had ironically been speaking with his insurance company about his car having been stolen after only moving to the city two weeks ago. Mid-conversation, and the man on the left runs past, snatching the cellphone from our victim's ear and attempting to make his getaway. I learned later that a chase ensued leading to a wrestling match as the two slammed against nearby shop walls. One a unrelenting thief, the other an unlucky newcomer to California's misty city.

"Man, I just want my phone back. I'll pay you money for it! I'll let you go!" the man in shorts begged, refusing to release the thief and allow his phone to escape his grasp.

There was no answer from the man in black, only grunts as he struggled to get free of his athletic captor.

"Please, call the cops." begged the virgin San Franciscan as he struggled. Not asking for help as a small crown gathered. Some yelled threats, some recorded the incident on cellphones of their own, and others obliged by phoning the authorities. No one stepped into the fray, no pleas for help came from the victim.

"Dude, just give him his phone. The cops are coming and this is aggravated assault!" called out one onlooker.

I joined in, trying my best to dissuade the man in black.

"I've got your face man. The police will have your face. Just give him his phone man, its over." I state to the thief

Looking up, becoming aware of myself and the crowd, the man instantly changed his demeanor. Still a cornered wolf, possibly in deeper into something than he ever meant to be, he now made a point of not allowing me to catch his whole face. Every new angle I took, he'd turn his head away as best he could, grimacing all the while as the struggle continued.

A moment later, and the two slacken. Something changes, and the next thing we all know, the man in black has relinquished the treasured cellphone to its rightful owner. Whether true to his word, or simply exhausted, our victim releases his grip. Tides of release could be felt by everyone as the tension washed away and over the crowd. Some make parting comments, others walk away silently. The thief begins to walk down the street, away from the commotion. Nervously, having revealed myself and my (expensive) equipment to someone who jumped another man for less, I slipped across the street. "Trung, hide. He knows we were shooting him." I mention to my shooting partner for the day. We split up, I crouch beside a public mail drop box. He moves up the block and around the corner. We both watch carefully as our subject slips away into the Saturday crowds.

After it all, we both returned to the victim to make sure he was ok, which he was. I have since surrendered all photos to the authorities and to the victim, and a search ensued as police gathered identifying descriptions from the images. I am unaware of whether or not they caught the man. In the words of the police officer, going to jail for thieves in San Francisco is often more of a blessing than a curse, as it provides them a rare free meal.

Trung and I then headed down the block to our original, syrupy destination. Each nervously slipping our setups into bags, we continued back to Union Square sipping on slushies.

"I'm done shooting for the day, man." I mention.

"Me too." Trung replied.

Last edited:
Cool story to go with the pics, I like this kind of thing.

Not to tarnish the mysterious Man In Blacks reputation however, but I think the second is quite romantic, and if you ever read about the incident in the papers (doubtful) and get his name, you should tag him on facebook.

Love the pix and story, though the politically correct description of the perp, not so much.

Are they fighting or making out?

A little OCF might have helped witht he dark spots, also may have distracted the combatants.

^ohhh burn! these types of incidents are more and more common. Not just in Frisco'

We split up...

Not to tarnish anything about the rest of the incident (which was related nicely), but this is the single dumbest thing you could've done. A person is far less likely to retaliate against two people than he is one...

Thanks.

Should not hesitate. If it is legal and you shoot it post it.

duhast said:
Love the pix and story, though the politically correct description of the perp, not so much.

Glad you like them, and thanks for the comments. Didn't mean to be PC about it, just saying it as I saw it.

amolitor said:
Are they fighting or making out?
it was a struggle, more of a wrestling match. No punches were thrown. One wanted to get free, the other wouldn't let him.

runnah said:
A little OCF might have helped witht he dark spots, also may have distracted the combatants.

I'll keep It in mind. Like I mentioned I wasn't really thinking about the quality of the images, hence the poor composition and lighting.

leeroix said:
^ohhh burn! these types of incidents are more and more common. Not just in Frisco'

A sad truth.

Steve5D said:
Not to tarnish anything about the rest of the incident (which was related nicely), but this is the single dumbest thing you could've done. A person is far less likely to retaliate against two people than he is one...

Personal opinions of choice from people with two different backgrounds IMO. The man was in no right state of mind. I was less concerned with a direct threat, and more about just making myself less conspicuous.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone, glad to see the different viewpoints.

Ilovemycam said:
Thanks.

Didn't mean to say I was concerned over identities, but more over my own choice of shooting instead of getting more involved like I normally would. I'm a very proactive person, and it took me awhile to realize I was still fulfilling that role by taking photos. That said, I think if punches were being thrown I would have most likely handed off my setup to my shooting partner and helped out.

Ilovemycam said:
Thanks.

Didn't mean to say I was concerned over identities, but more over my own choice of shooting instead of getting more involved like I normally would. I'm a very proactive person, and it took me awhile to realize I was still fulfilling that role by taking photos. That said, I think if punches were being thrown I would have most likely handed off my setup to my shooting partner and helped out.
Let me ask you something, I'm curious. Are you aware of any feelings of fearlessness/invulnerability while you were looking through the viewfinder, that detachment, or 'shielding' effect the camera body has?

Good story. I enjoyed reading it. A nice change of pace from the normal TPF stuff!

Story: Well told
Situation: sad, stupid and a pretty ****ty representation of what some folks will do to make a buck. What bad luck for the Cali n00b. . . and people complain about NYC. . .
Photos: Not bad, for what it is, I guess. I would have been more prone to have my buddy hold my rig as I helped subdue the perp and waited for proper authorities to make a showing.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by runnah

"I'll keep It in mind. Like I mentioned I wasn't really thinking about the quality of the images, hence the poor composition and lighting. "

OP- You missed Runnahs joke. lol...it was a pretty funny one too.

Ilovemycam said:
Thanks.

Let me ask you something, I'm curious. Are you aware of any feelings of fearlessness/invulnerability while you were looking through the viewfinder, that detachment, or 'shielding' effect the camera body has?

I did not have any such feelings, of anything I felt slightly more vulnerable. As a professional research diver I'm used to multitasking under some pretty dangerous conditions and to some degree have been trained to never lose sight of the overall risk assessment, maybe that played a part? I believe I have seen cases of what your describing however when I was not behind a lens.

Good story. I enjoyed reading it. A nice change of pace from the normal TPF stuff!

Thanks Derrel, really glad you enjoyed it :)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by runnah

"I'll keep It in mind. Like I mentioned I wasn't really thinking about the quality of the images, hence the poor composition and lighting. "

OP- You missed Runnahs joke. lol...it was a pretty funny one too.

Oh wow, more than missed, it blew right past me! Thats what I get for replying to things on my tiny cell phone screen. Thanks for the heads up :p

Most reactions

Back