Studeo Name

PicturePerfect1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I am opening a studio in the next month and hoping to grow my currently small portrait business (currently named "Portraits by Sarah") and I am looking to make a permanent name change. I photograph seniors, children, families, and weddings. I like the idea of a self named business, but my name isn't really suitable for this... my last name is often mispronounced and is not easily spelled (i.e. found in a phone book) and since I will be getting married soon this is not a suitable option... and my married name will not be either.

I don't like the idea of keeping my first name in the name of the business because I like to stamp/sign each purchased image (and a stamp with just my name appears like it is the subject's name).

I also don't want a name based on my location since I am planning to move after finishing my degree... I want a name that will easily carry with me.

I plan on catering to mid to high end clients and don't want a cliche name like "click" "picture this" or "picture perfect" etc I like the idea of "portrait design" instead of studio, photography etc bc i incorporate a lot of artistic designing into the final images

I know a lot of what I don't want, but I am having trouble finding something that I like... please help

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. (I deleted your identical post, there is no need to double post)

I suggest brain storming with people who are close to you...like your boyfriend, or friends and family. This is such a personal decision...any suggestions from us would be purely random....like Frog Photography.

You will probably find that just about any name that remotely relates to photography...is being used by someone, somewhere. If you know where you plan to move to...make sure the name you pick, isn't being used in that area.

I've tried (and am still trying) getting the advice of my friends and family... the only problem is that most of them are oblivious to the world of photography and continuously offer up ideas like "flash" "click" etc... that i think sound more like cliche cookie cutter names... so i am enlisting the help of the photo forum world... hoping to get more elegant ideas :)

(and a stamp with just my name appears like it is the subject's name).
If it's just 'Sarah', it might be mistaken for the client's name, but how about:

Sarah Portraiture
Sarah Portraits
Sarah Imagery
Sarah Visuals

Plus, if you are incorporating your company, an Inc./LLC suffix will leave out any confusion.

Like Mike said above, naming your company is a very personal decision. There is very little we can do other than throw random suggestions.

I think you are on to the right track by thinking about your target market.

I was going to start up a wedding photography company with a 'friend' and we wanted to target women so we were going to go with 'Timeless Treasures Photography' with a butterfly logo.

I've decided to just go with my name though.

Photography By Design
Classic Imagery
Imagery By Design
Lasting Images
Timeless Photography
Timeless Images
Light & Camera
Sterling Photography
Limitless Images
Art & Imagery
Sarah's Snaps

You may try using your initials and then photography or photograhpy design after it.

i don't know if any of you guys are jerry ghionis fans, but his company name is great.

Xsight, the way he decided the name (he said it took him a couple years to decide on the name) was by . . .

making a list of words that he thought described what people want from his photographs. ex: timeless, classic, exciting, colorful

so he has a list right, now, how can he create a logo, or trademark or whatever from the words on the list? he really thought x was cool, and saw the opportunity to turn exciting into Xsight.

also the name you choose will determine the kind of people that hire you to some extent. i think he did great by choosing xsight, people who are attracted to that may be younger, more upbeat, and willing to may more than someone with a studio named "bargain glamour by sarah"

further more the words you use may attract clients expecting a certain style that they would associate with those words, where Xsight is vague in all style regards except that the pictures should be exciting.

while your name can be important, if your serious about building a business then using your name in your studios name isn't a good idea, when in 10 years you have other photogs working for you as well people may not be happy about hiring "portraits by sarah" to take their pictures and then having someone else do it.

another thing important in a name its potential to be marketed. some people associate a symbol with their name, thats good, in Xsight its the x. people will remember a good symbol even if they don't remember your catchy name. and as you build your business you'll find it printed on your shirts, on pens, in client slideshows, its your watermark, you have stickers, everything!

on top of all of that, it needs to be unique, and able to set you apart from your competition. not to dog on seefutlung but those names are so completely cliche that there are probobly studios in different states with the same name, and there will be other sarahs out there. My name is michael hudson, if you go to michaelhudsonphotography.com then woops, that potential client is going to use a different michael hudson.

wow, i have no idea what i've typed, but i hope it makes sense and helps you out some.

Sit down with a piece of paper and write down every word that comes to your mind when you think of photography, then just throw a few words together.

wow guys this has all been great help... it was good to get all these perspectives... i think i have decided on something THANKS

I actually like "Portraits by Sarah"

I think it's better than having some cutesy or clever name that doesn't say anything. All those "Flowing Memories Photography" type names all blur together... and don't really tell me what you do.

"Portraits by Sarah" tells me exactly what you do.

And just to back it up, try to imagine "The Oprah Winfrey Show" called some froo-froo name like, oh, "The View." Or "Heart to Heart." Or "Afternoon Delight."

Simple thoughts... and you'll do just fine.

(Although I kinda like "Frog Photography")

yes I agree that "Portraits by Sarah" is better than some random cutesy name.. but I think I have decide on going with my "SMG Photography" with SMG being a unique logo that will appear on my publications as well as being embossed/signed on my images

i think SMG photography would be great!

Congrats on the new name! I wish you the very best!! :cheer:

---

(Although I kinda like "Frog Photography")
There is actually a company named frog design. :)

Names can aid in targeting a particular demographic and can be used as an effective marketing/branding tool. But in the long run, if you have a strong Product, and name it Poop, no one would necessarily care.

Couple of quick examples: frog design, Strawberryfrog, Blackberry, Apple

Most reactions

Back