The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Monk in Luang Prabang studying English from a copybook.

12413-StudyingMonkLP_00062.jpg

Hi, I think the composition is a little busy as the monk did not stand out to me. I can see everything very clearly like a landscape shot which doesn't help bring attention to the monk. Can you tell me why you why chose to shoot the photograph the way you did rather than a closer portrait shot? thanks

Hi, I think the composition is a little busy as the monk did not stand out to me. I can see everything very clearly like a landscape shot which doesn't help bring attention to the monk. Can you tell me why you why chose to shoot the photograph the way you did rather than a closer portrait shot? thanks

A couple of reasons. 1) the buildings really represent the kind of 'architecture' seen in Laos - plain cement or ornamented with cast-cement decorations that are painted or gilded. These two buildings occupy the thirds of the composition, leaving the monk alone in the building.

2) the orange-robed monks are ubiquitous in SEA and that color just booms out at the eye from everywhere. This setting seemed to minimize the color a little, and shows what else is going on (besides the bright color) and, in my eyes, makes a neat composition.

Hi, this is certainly a very interesting shot as I have been looking at it for a while. I think what happen is that your title "Studying English from a copybook" put too much emphasis on the monk and what's he doing so that's where I was looking first. Now that I look at the picture more clearly, I the monk and the copybook is an interesting detail of the picture but it's not the only theme in the picture and it gather my attention too much due to the title. When I first saw the title of the thread, I figure the book would be the main subject.

In general, this is a very neat photograph, a better title would help :=)

Hi, this is certainly a very interesting shot as I have been looking at it for a while. I think what happen is that your title "Studying English from a copybook" put too much emphasis on the monk and what's he doing so that's where I was looking first. Now that I look at the picture more clearly, I the monk and the copybook is an interesting detail of the picture but it's not the only theme in the picture and it gather my attention too much due to the title. When I first saw the title of the thread, I figure the book would be the main subject.

In general, this is a very neat photograph, a better title would help :=)

I agree. I am sort of anti-title because I want the picture to carry the message. If I had thought about it I would have titled each picture 'Laos 1", "Laos 2" and so one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back