Wawe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tommiaarniophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I’ve recently become interested in submitting my images to some photo contests and thought it might be good to first ask advice from more experienced photographers in order not to make all the rookie mistakes. I’m not completely new to photography in general, having been an enthusiast photographer for some five years now but have newer taken part in any photo contests.

My images would probably best be described as travel photography, and I shoot landscapes, cityscapes, street and nature & wildlife in my travels. I showcase my work on my website where you can see my portfolio as well as other galleries if you’re interested.

I’m looking for recommendations on the best contests to take part in. In choosing the best ones for me, I’m paying attention to the following aspects:

• Terms and conditions
    • I’m, of course, not willing to give away the copyright to my images etc.
    • I’m primarily looking for competitions that allow image editing beyond simple color corrections but welcome also recommendations on contests with more strict, photo journalism like rules
    • I don’t know if there are any but if the contest would allow a photo to be submitted in more than one contests that would be great as well
  • Exposure the winners get

• Actual prizes
    • I would prefer cash but gear is always welcome as well
  • Participation fees
Thanks everyone in advance for any help!

Yep, what they said. Any I've seen that someone's posted about seem to want the photos for whatever purpose(s) for their own use or to sell as stock... for me the Terms & Conditions would be a deal breaker.

Maybe try local or regional contests sponsored by something like a park district, or county fairs, etc. but that would eliminate prizes most likely (or a nominal prize or an award would be what winners would receive).

Contests seem to dangle prizes as bait but it's usually beneficial to the company not the participating photographers. If you want equipment, get a piggy bank!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Do you have examples of contests that would exploit participants by taking the rights to the images submitted in the way you mention? Sounds like the organizers in these cases are thinking very short-term as I would guess contests like these would quickly receive some very bad publicity.

-Wawe

Thanks everyone for your input!

Do you have examples of contests that would exploit participants by taking the rights to the images submitted in the way you mention? Sounds like the organizers in these cases are thinking very short-term as I would guess contests like these would quickly receive some very bad publicity.

-Wawe

they rely on people not reading the fine print, and never checking on their photos afterwards.

It's usually buried deep in the fine print. Most folks never delve that far in. And sometimes it's in such gibberish legalese you can't understand it.

Most reactions

Back