Suffering

Excellent composition and lighting. Not sure if these work as "stand alones" A series of photos may work better. Sure there is pain and a lot of emotion. That is dramatic. I need more info. like why is she in pain? Where is she from and how did she get there?

craig said:
I need more info. like why is she in pain? Where is she from and how did she get there?
Don't you think that the fact that you're left with these questions makes the picture stronger?
I think if 'the viewer' answers these questions for himself it becomes a more personal, stronger context. I do agree that a series could make this context stronger but i'm not sure if that's what i'm after. I probably will make a series around the subject but then with different people.

btw: I'm not trying to counter all the comments (it might look that way). I'm just trying to make discussion and learn from it. I really like it when you guys give honest critique and it helps me more then just the positive comments (although those are very nice to read as well :))

I absolutely love it. Craig is right though, this would make an awesome series. I'd love to see a whole "suffering" series using different people....provided this is a set up and not "actual suffering". I think it would make an interesting gallery display.

I do not think it makes the photo stronger. I see a women in pain and the shot does not go beyond that. I know she is suffering and she knows she is suffering. The question is what are you trying to say and or reveal.

This picture is awesome. Really this is good!!! I like the space on the left, almost gives the feeling of lonelyness. I LOVE that the picture is cut of! Why dont you other ppl like this? Its like she is so tragic,unloved,alone in her world and HATED almost - it's like not even the photographer can care less about her! I really like this photo, i could feel it. PLS give me more!!!

fotonemer said:
Why dont you other ppl like this?
I'm glad you like it :).
The fact that i got some honest critique in this thread doen't mean people don't like it ;).
To be honest i can agree with most of the comments and the ones i do not agree with are subjective so there's no true or false here. Anyway as i wrote before i'm glad people are willing to write down what they like or do not like about the pics.
offtopic: i do understand your signature and i'm not Afrikaans ;)

@DVJLabonte: tnx, and she's fine :D.

Very good work. I must say though, it doesn't really say "Tragic" to me. I read it as "exhaustion." Those aren't unrelated, during times of real tragedy exhaustion - a sense of "I can't take any more" - is a real part of it. The first image strikes me more as a tired dancer though.

Good work.

Most reactions

Back