Suggest gear for trip to Thailand

mmm97m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi! I recently bought a Canon 10d and am just learning how to use it. I added a 50mm and a 17-40mm with a pretty inexpensive UV filter.

Eventually, I hope to add a telephoto zoom and would like to before my trip to Thailand in March, but I'm not sure I can afford the trip and a lot of new gear. I'm pretty sure I should get a polarizer, although I don't know anything about them...I've heard there are different kinds.

Can you give me any suggestions on which lens to buy the polarizer for and what kind of polarizer? Any other ideas on what to add to my gear, how to travel with it, etc, would be appreciated.

As for subjects, I'll be spending several days at the beach and the rest of the two weeks in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Thanks for your help!

I was in Thailand last year. Used the 24-105f4L IS and the 70-200 f2.8L IS.

you'll get on fine with the 17-40 and if you want a telephoto, look at the 70-200 f4L. Better with the IS one but more money!!

Regards polariser, I didn't use one but it wainly just holiday snaps I was taking. You could get a circular polariser if you like to reduce water reflections on your shots.

Get it for the lens you use most. 17-40L has a 77mm filter thread as does the 24-105 and 70-200 f2.8L IS but I think the f4 versions have a smaller thread.

have a great time there it's beautiful!

i would suggest the same lens, in fact i'm going there this summer and am buying the 70-200 f/2.8 vr before my trip i hope.

When I visited Thailand last year I had a 10-22mm, 50mm, and 24-105mm. That was all I needed. Mind you I was primarily photographing the kids at the home I was staying at, but for people shots and the like, I still don't like the idea of pointing a 70-200mm at their face. Especially when most individuals comment on just how large of a lens the 50mm is.

If you are shooting wildlife - by all means take one though. That is just my opinion :) What area are you heading to?

Edit: Whoops! Now that I reread your post I see Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I stayed in Chiang Mai for two days and the rest in the very very northern region of Chiang Rai. Beautiful area and the people are extremely friendly.

I also used the 10-22 but not very often as I didn't get the chance to shoot landscapes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back