Suggestions for night time shots

SteveEllis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

My friend as asked if we can go and try some night time photography, thing is my mind is drawing a blank as to what we can do.

Any suggestions? I dont expect places since we are a global community, just suggestions of types of places. Any example photos would be awesome too.

Cheers guys,
Steve.

Water is always good. Depending on location, moonlight on a lake or a river, fountains that are lit at night in a city, reflections of a lit building in a pond etc. Reflections of one lit building on another one, unusually shaped structures that are well-lit and provide contrast to the rest of the area, old fashioned store fronts, small green spaces within cities, perhaps street photography of people standing around or entering a club etc., a police officer on the beat, an interesting street from a non-standard angle..high from a building or very low from true "street level", etc. The list can go on, forever.

skieur

I'm a bit nervous of taking street photography at night, My local city is fairly rough, anyone walking around with a grands work of kit around their neck may as well just walk up to the nearest thug and give it away, save yourself a beating *lol*

I'm quite lucky with settings, where I live is Rural, Urban and suburban, all pretty much on my doorstep. Do a nose for Neath, south wales on google maps and you'll see what I mean. Within a few miles I have the beach, the hills, woodland, suburbs and big city.

Cant quite see the Northern lights though :)

well you can allways go not at night but a little before sundown. also if there are other not so rough places you can go over the weekend its kind of nice too. Look at the link on my sig, I love taking night photos.

Well, tonight I am trying star trials for the first time ever :) My remote button arrive so I can lock it in bulb mode :) I'll post the results no matter how they end up

You could also try a liquor store just about closing and shoot the people who are trying to get that last bottle. Should be edgy if you can keep from using a flash.

You could also try a liquor store just about closing and shoot the people who are trying to get that last bottle. Should be edgy if you can keep from using a flash.

Thats a cool idea :) Can I taunt them with beer on a string :lol:

LOL it's your jaw. ;)

No, really, you would want to be as unobtrusive as you could- camera on a tripod or gorillapod or something. A remote trigger would be good too. Depending on the clientèle you might make a series out of it, call it "Last voices in the night" or something.

Its definitely an interesting prospect. I do however feel awkward taling photos of people.

I have just bought a special little tripod that grips onto car window, you wind the window half way down and it clamps to the open window. Should be useful for this type of subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back