Suggestions for radio station scenario

Tkraz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pesfan.com
Right,

I have been given the chance, in an attempt to buck up my CV a bit, to take photographs of a very high profile band in a radio station this coming week.

It will be an acoustic/mini set indoors, and I am wondering if anyone has any specific tips in relation to shooting in such conditions and perhaps any examples or documents regarding shots or work done in a similar scenario.

Anything at all would help, from ideas to basic tips.

Thank you in advance. ;)

Are you posing them or are you taking pictures whilst they are performing?
How big is the studio area?
What's the lighting like?
How many in the band?
These are all things you need to know. Reccy the location a day or two before if possible so you can see what you've got to work with and make some plans. It also allows you to talk to people and find out what you can and can't do.
And you have to make sure the band know in advance and don't mind, either. If you start taking pictures and they weren't told about you doing it, you could find yourself in a very tricky situation.
You almost certainly won't be allowed to take pictures in the studio when the mike is live - sound engineers have an aversion to picking up extraneous noise and cameras are quite noisy.
If the lighting is crap - and it usually is - then you will need flash. Bounce it off the ceiling if that is below 9'.
A small space is OK if there are only 3 members but if there are more... hello wide angle.
Try and get them to pose when they are not recording. If you ask nicely they usually will. And if you ask really nicely and they like you they might pose for you outside the studio where conditions are better. Worth a try.
In situations like this you have to remember that you are there on sufferance, so you have to behave like a church mouse. If you get in the way or are a nuisance then you will get asked to leave. So talk to people to find out what you can and can't do and be very polite.
Get a mail address for the band and offer to send them some prints or contacts. You never know where that might lead.

not really qualified to give you advice on how to shoot. But just thought i'd mention that ive always liked them photographs of The Beatles that where taken in abbey road studios, they looked cool!

PS, what band is it? (Just being nosey)

Band is Razorlight,

Interesting points about perhaps not being allowed in the studio, however so far I have been told otherwise. Thanks for all the points of consideration, thats a great help :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back