Summer Storm

flygning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4thofJoo-lie428e1.jpg

Taken while sitting alongside the highway surrounded by storms. Durned good chance of getting hit by a truck or struck by lightning- we got lucky :)

I was waiting for lightning but couldn't take long enough exposures to get any good stuff-- apparently I have terrible timing. The red cast on the rain is the reflection of the sunset. Do you think it adds anything to the picture, or should I edit one of the ones without the red glow?

Here's the only lightning I got the whole time:
4thofJoo-lie408e1.jpg

Let me know what you think, and how I might have improved the shot.

The first one is fantastic, a very nice capture of color. If anything, now that it looks like the season is upon you, try to search out foreground interest, a hook, curve or something to lead in to the scene. Watch the roadsides- man-made grader and rake marks stick out like a sore thumb.

Ha! Someone else that has trouble grabbin lightening. :) Man if I was back in OK I think I could just point my camera anywhere during a storm and get good stuff. Here in the NE it seems like lightening is shy and finicky.

Nice shots.

Doesn't the monsoon make the sky a lot more interesting?

sick pictures! i love the pink!

not a fun fact but: six people were killed by lightning strikes yesterday.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I'm glad the red glow added something to the shot-- I was a tad disappointed at my results overall (not getting any lightning).

I think this coming weekend I'm going to head out of town and better prepare myself for monsoon shots. I'll try out my ND filter so I can grab longer exposures and get a better chance of lightning. Maybe Saguaro National Monument....oooh, now that I think of it, I really like that idea :p

I love monsoons because I love clouds, and it almost makes up for the fact that I can't get any astrophotos.

And not cool about the lightning strike statistic. How many of them were just trying to get a good photograph...?

Great work.....not everything works out as u plan.....nice capture.

Great work.....not everything works out as u plan.....nice capture.

Thanks for looking. I know that photography doesn't always work out as we plan, but for the last month or so I've set very specific goals for myself each time I go out and shoot and try to get at least one shot that meets whatever criteria I've set out for myself. While this was a sort of spur of the moment stop, I still set my goals (get a good shot of just the rain cell, and get some lightening). I feel my results on both goals were mediocre, but that just gives me more motivation to set it up better next time.

The low clouds really give a sense of depth and perspective to the photo. I like it. And I think Abraxas has a good point. Use the clouds as the interest, but put something, anything in the foreground to lure you to it.

Thank you for sharing. The scenery down there looks spectacular, and since I can't go down to the desert, I'm counting on you to take great photos so I can feel like I'm there...lol :)

Most reactions

Back