Sun/Sky

murph1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having ALOT of trouble with sunlight and the sky. I usually place my subject in some type of shade, but by the time I have the correct exposure for the subject I blow the sky out everytime. I start to edit the pictures and the sky is bright white. Any suggestions? I know I could lower the exposure, but don't want to darken the subject. I don't have any of the pictures on this computer, but will try to upload an example later.

Thanks!!

What type of camera are you using? That will also help people help you with the question. Also will it accept an external flash or can you activate the flash on demand?

Oops! Sorry about that!

Canon 40d
Sigma 24-70mm 2.8
430EX Speedlite

The way I see it, there are two things you could do - have less sky in the frame, or put more light on the subject.

...Not really sure that there's anything else you can do.

... usually place my subject in some type of shade, but by the time I have the correct exposure for the subject I blow the sky out everytime. ...

Of course the sky is blown out. By placing your subjects in the shade you make the sky approximately three stops brighter, relative to the subject's brightness, than it would be if the subjects were in full sunlight. Even when a polarizer will help (e.g. when the sky in the picture is at the correct angle from the sun) you are still not likely to correct the problem well.

If you need to avoid the harsh shadows produced in full sun and need to have some sky in the background, the only real answer is to add light to the subject. The two common methods would be fill flash and large reflectors placed in sunlight and reflecting onto the shaded subjects.

Ok, not sure if this link will work, but I posted about this just the other day. If you check this link, you will find some good info.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/165131-how-avoid-blown-out-sky.html

I was JUST experimenting a couple of hours ago with fill flash. It was really exciting to see BLUE skies!!! I know the picture is silly, and she is way close to the flash so she is too bright, but still good to be able to see both subject AND sky!!
MackFlash.jpg

Oh, darn, the link didn't work for me just now: Just search for "How to Avoid Blown Out Sky"

Ok, not sure if this link will work, but I posted about this just the other day. If you check this link, you will find some good info.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/165131-how-avoid-blown-out-sky.html

I was JUST experimenting a couple of hours ago with fill flash. It was really exciting to see BLUE skies!!! I know the picture is silly, and she is way close to the flash so she is too bright, but still good to be able to see both subject AND sky!!
MackFlash.jpg

Oh, darn, the link didn't work for me just now: Just search for "How to Avoid Blown Out Sky"
Yes fill flash is your friend.

Thank you for the advice everyone!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back