Sunset in HDR

fenderjaguar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is an HDR shot of mine which actually got featured on a photography site and then used as a cover photo for one of the sites articles. I really like it and was just wondering what some of you all think. For some reason this one always seems to get attention when I post it somewhere. It's actually from my first HDR shoot I ever did. I also want it known that I wasn't going for a strictly realistic image here. I was going for a believable yet painting-esque shot and want that made clear up front.

Attachments

• $HDR Photo 3.1001.jpg
    $HDR Photo 3.1001.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 70
Nice :) I quite like this; could probably pass this off as a forest fire shot! :lol:

I find this to be a very good example of what HDR can do for an image. There is a very wide range of exposure values between the foreground and and sun. Your only other alternative in an instance like this would have been to use a split neutral density filter, which I have done on many occasions while using film. Of course in that instance, you expose for the values you want for the foreground but you are basically stuck with whatever neutral density change (mine is 4x) you have with the filter, it does not have nearly the flexibility HDR offers.

If I had to give any crtiques of the image itself, I would like to see the horizon moved closer to the top horizontal third to improve the overall composition. The top third of that sky is basically featureless so cropping it out will not impact the image. The foreground is definitely the highlight of the image so take as much advantage of it as you can.

$hdr sunset.jpg

Well done!

I like that crop. I do agree that the foreground is the star of this image. One reason I didn't crop it was because to me I liked the way the picture guided my eyes from the sunset, up to the sky, and then finally down revealing all the detail of the foreground which at first glance isn't that noticeable but becomes a nice surprise. Just the way I reacted to the image but the crop gets the job done a little faster so there's a benefit there.

I like the original photo... The sky and grass balance the photo IMO and makes it more pleasing to look at. The crop hurts my eyes a little and is harder for me to look at.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back