Sunset in the Park

mountainjunkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rocky Mountain Nation Park, I live right around 2 hours from here and don't go near enough. I have some pics from a hike we did the next day and am still working on those, these were from the evening we arrived. I set up for the first viewpoint about 30-45 minutes before sunset and waited for the colors to change....and waited...and waited. Finally got a little something to work with, then turned around to observe the scene behind me was even more dramatic (pic #2), so I bailed and walked 30--40 yards down the path do get that shot. I don't feel I did it justice, the scene was pretty awesome to the naked eye. But I tried...then turned around again and the original scene I was attempting to capture was lit up with all sorts of color I had hoped for originally. So I scrambled (literally, had to climb up on a small rock formation to get #2) back to my first spot to capture what I used for #1.

Lesson learned: when shooting sunsets; be ready, be flexible, be patient....and wear your runnin shoes :)

Many Parks Overlook V2 by matt gates, on Flickr

Many Parks Overlook Rearview by matt gates, on Flickr

Beautiful colours in the sky and mountain tops on the second.

Beautiful scenes well captured! I’m envious of your mountains. Number 2 rule of sunset photos - always look behind you.

Number 1 rule - wait.

Beautiful scenes well captured! I’m envious of your mountains. Number 2 rule of sunset photos - always look behind you.

Number 1 rule - wait.

Thank you! I've been in Colorado for around 6 years now...the mountains do not get old. (the sun setting at 4:30 in the winter is a different story. lol)

I know what you mean. New England short winter days are similarly depressing. Sunset today is at 4:20. Earliest sunset this year was 4:12 on 12/7.

I know what you mean. New England short winter days are similarly depressing. Sunset today is at 4:20. Earliest sunset this year was 4:12 on 12/7.

Good news is we’re heading in the right direction now!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back