My primary goal when posting photos in these Photo Galleries forums, as I believe most people's is, is for selfish reasons - I want people to like my pictures. But I also recognize that my vision is untamed. It can be a little too wild even for me. I like making dynamic images, but I prefer them to be based in reality.
There are many accomplished artists here. Some are extremely talented with software. Although there are those who are very good at both, a few are much better at one than the other. I don't consider myself an expert at content and composition, but believe I have a very good eye. Where I am least skilled at is manipulating the software to best reflect the drama and emotion of my vision.
Panoramas are particularly difficult in that they distort reality. A good illustration of that for me is this photo taken a few minutes before the photo leading this discussion.
The sweep of the view is approximately 240°, whereas the OP photo's view is only about 170° (very close to normal human peripheral vision). In the photograph above, the shadows are incongruent with reality - you can't have the sun on the left side of the frame pointing directly at you and shadows falling away from you on the right side of the frame. In the OP photo, I realize I developed the picture in a way that put light from the sun where there should be shadow. Specifically, the rock. The side of the rock facing the camera was in shadow, not light. It was a mistake on my part to create the illusion there was light and a lot of detail.
Conversely, there actually was light falling on the grassy area. But in the perspective of the photograph, there shouldn't have been. The aspect ratio of the image was created to convey the peripheral vision of the viewer. I wanted to make the composition realistic, if not the color and drama of the view. So, the advice I chose to take was to turn the picture into something more realistic. However, I do not consider that last image perfect. I'm sorry my last edit turned the photo into a yawner for a couple of you, but it's the price I am willing to pay to develop my artistic talent.
I don't have the same attitude about the opinions of others that you do,
@Bryston3bsst. Hoping others will like my pictures isn't the only reason I post. I come here to learn. There's a lot of C&C that goes on around here that isn't offered in an educational vein, but then that's not a requirement. There's also a lot of photography posted that offers no insight into the photographer's vision or intent and doesn't even describe how or with what the image was captured. Every day I see pics posted that have no other content except a link from the picture to the member's Flickr page. That's too selfish to me and I hope I never get to that point.
Then again, there might be some who think I babble on enough to make up for dozens of photo posts empty of words to go with them.
Jim