Super Moon 2013

How did you get "You do not have permission to view this album." written on the surface of the moon?

How did you get "You do not have permission to view this album." written on the surface of the moon?

Intense, I was thinking the same thing. Figured some sort of diabolical Dr. Evil style plan involving a super "laser"... and sharks

Maybe you should just post it?

Sorry guys. Ever since Google changed their Photo app, it's been a pain in the a**. I made it public so you shouldn't have any problems viewing it now. If you do, please send me a PM and I'll look into it further.

Took care of the linkage problem but it is still more a series of pics of a moonlike object behind some clouds, neither of which have been color corrected. Could just as easily be the sun taken during a dust storm. Sorry, but none of these images work for me. Maybe you should get with Charlie and use his moon and your, to scale, clouds. Possibilities abound. :lol:

Took care of the linkage problem but it is still more a series of pics of a moonlike object behind some clouds, neither of which have been color corrected. Could just as easily be the sun taken during a dust storm. Sorry, but none of these images work for me. Maybe you should get with Charlie and use his moon and your, to scale, clouds. Possibilities abound. :lol:

I saw his pics and they are amazing. Unfortunately, there was a lot of cloud cover with some occasional breaks that would let me get a shot or 2 in before coving it back up. Conditions weren't ideal but did the best I could with what I had to work with.

I saw his pics and they are amazing. Unfortunately, there was a lot of cloud cover with some occasional breaks that would let me get a shot or 2 in before coving it back up. Conditions weren't ideal but did the best I could with what I had to work with.
Amazing? Mostly a badly overexposed moon.... I like that type of shot, but to get them right, you have to either HDR or composite...

Like this 2 frame HDR

Late Night Harvest Moon 3 by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
And, unfortunately a faux moon/cloud combination looks pretty bad no matter how it is done. It really takes two shoots in the same sky in the same time frame - one on the clouds, one on the moon to make it work, but even then it looks almost as fake as this shot...

(Though I will admit there are some shots out there which will rock your socks off.)

$9127310834_89e5944b28_o.jpg

Getting the translucency of the clouds correct is very very tough, getting the light to look right is pretty hard, and getting the scale to look convincing isn't trivial.

You probably want the scale to be pretty far off, in fact, to get an interesting shot, so you've already got a problem. If you want it to look real you have just got to *nail* everything else, otherwise it's just going to look like a dumb fake. Even then it's dicey.

The alternative is to make it an obvious composite, and make yourself some digital art or whatever you want to call it.

I tried shooting the moon last night. It sucked. Will not post my results, haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back