What's new

SuperBike

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 17, 2012
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
358
Location
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C, Welcome

1 $_MG_4069.webp

2 $_MG_4463.webp

3 $_MG_4487.webp

4 $_MG_4493.webp

5 $_MG_4512.webp
 
Nice bikes -- I'd like to see a little more action, though. Out of the set, I'd probably pick #2 as my favorite because you can see the rider's eyes. #4 is starting to show some good wheel blur, but the position of the rider shows he's not racing yet.
 
^^^ that's what I was thinking. They're all in Pit Lane.
I love action shots of them cornering with their knee dragging and stuff like that.
 
^^^ that's what I was thinking. They're all in Pit Lane.
I love action shots of them cornering with their knee dragging and stuff like that.

Find a spot where you're on the inside of a corner. You're more likely to get a closer vantage point and not have a fence there. You also get to see the knee that's dragging, since it's not obscured by the bike. Finally, your camera is going to try to focus on the nearest point, which is going to be the rider's head when he's leaning toward you. I like to stand just past the apex if I can and look toward the riders entering the turn -- their eyes are going to be pointed in your general direction this way.
 
^^^ that's what I was thinking. They're all in Pit Lane.
I love action shots of them cornering with their knee dragging and stuff like that.

Find a spot where you're on the inside of a corner. You're more likely to get a closer vantage point and not have a fence there. You also get to see the knee that's dragging, since it's not obscured by the bike. Finally, your camera is going to try to focus on the nearest point, which is going to be the rider's head when he's leaning toward you. I like to stand just past the apex if I can and look toward the riders entering the turn -- their eyes are going to be pointed in your general direction this way.

I think I know what you mean, but I don't have a credential and a powerful telephoto lens.
 
^^^ that's what I was thinking. They're all in Pit Lane.
I love action shots of them cornering with their knee dragging and stuff like that.

Find a spot where you're on the inside of a corner. You're more likely to get a closer vantage point and not have a fence there. You also get to see the knee that's dragging, since it's not obscured by the bike. Finally, your camera is going to try to focus on the nearest point, which is going to be the rider's head when he's leaning toward you. I like to stand just past the apex if I can and look toward the riders entering the turn -- their eyes are going to be pointed in your general direction this way.

I think I know what you mean, but I don't have a credential and a powerful telephoto lens.

Was this Laguna Seca? I know it's tough to find a good spot, but I've yet to find a track that didn't have at least a couple spots where a spectator could get a halfway decent vantage point. This was at Mid Ohio this weekend -- 170mm from a spectator viewing area. Note - when I mentioned that the rider's head would be "closest", that didn't mean "highest". ;-)

Low profile by lambertpix, on Flickr

You should be able to get a pretty good idea of vantage points by looking at a track map (try satellite view in Google), but there's really no substitute for walking the track.

get a drone. lol
I love motorcycle racing ... one of these days I'll go to a race and see what I can get if anything.

Yeah - I saw one flying over the track this weekend -- I'd love to know if he got it "approved". I didn't have quite the right angle to see this, but it sure looked like it was over the track a couple times, and boy, that would have been a mess if it had dropped out of the sky unexpectedly.
 
I like 8, 9, & 10 - 8 best, I think.
 
Thanks guys. The Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca racetrack is guarded with double fences. I think it was done on purpose to prevent spectators to shoot good pictures.
 
Thanks guys. The Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca racetrack is guarded with double fences. I think it was done on purpose to prevent spectators to shoot good pictures.

Bummer. I know most tracks are moving in that direction, but so far Indy is the worst I've seen, and even there, I found a couple little windows. I imagine it's disappointing to go there and not be able to find any clear vantage points.
 
Sorry, they don't do much for me. Did you have paddock access for this event? I know that's hit & miss, but a lot of road courses will let you wander in and check out teams in the "cold" pits.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom