Surface blur?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm reading this tutorial and wondering how sound it is. Is this a valid technique to use? If not, can someone point me in the direction of a great tutorial? Please and thank you :D

It is one way of creating such an effect yes.... if its the porcelin skin type effect you want.

To me there are advantages and disadvantages of following such tutorials... the advantages are if you are not familiar with the methods used in the tutorial then by all means go through it and learn... you will pick up skills which you can transfere to other photoshop procedures.
The disadvatages are, these techniques are often quite destructive to the image... surface blur is no exception... but can be used for some clients if they like the effect.

The more you use photoshop techniques the more you can fine tune your own way of doing things in a less destructive way....

So i would say go through it and learn it by all means. ;)

Thank you Arch. I wondered if it was a retouching tip that "pro's" use for pocelein skin, basically. Or if there is something I can do in PS that is better?

I liked this tutorial because it worked in layers and masks, not just opacity. And the blur seemed pretty subtle?

This is a slow subforum, there's no need to bump 3 times in one day.

The final effect always depends on what your after. It looks to be by far the most detailed and over the top tutorial I have seen so far. I've done some skin retouching before but I have never added shadows or highlights to the subject. I always thought that's what makeup artists do.

Also this is not the only way to do it. Just one of the ways. Remember that, there is no "tip pro's use" there's just "one of the methods that pros can use".

But the most important thing is still just try it. If it gives you the right effect remember it. If you don't like it find something else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back