Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon D3500
40 mm
ISO 400
f/10
3/5 sec and 4/5 sec
Lamina de jabon (16).jpg
Lamina de jabon (14).jpg

Very nice. Can I ask how you set them up?
Hello.
I got the technique during the enclosure of covid from youtube.
The film is formed in the top of a wine cup.
You have to produce a soap mixture that can make a film strong enough to last tense across de cup.
I used a cup of water, two teaspoons of dish soap, and a quarter tablespoon of sugar (to give strength, others reccommend glycerine, but it did not work for me). Stirr the mixture slighty just to mix the components, trying to avoid the formation of bubbles .
You put a little amount of the mixture over a dish , some milimeters. deep.
Then you put a wine cup upside down, and inmerrse in on the soap mix. The film is not always formed at the first try!
You put the cup with the film near your source of light. Natural light works fine, but you can use other sources of continuous light (not a flash).
You will notice that at naked eye, depending the angle of the light, colors begin to appear on the film. You have to be patient, the colors may not appear during the first minutes. Also you may need to change the direction of light.
Once the colors appear, use your macro lens ( I use a 40 mm macro lens, but surely a longer lens will do a better job).
You will notice that the colors appear over layers of soap and these layers are not static, so try to capture the colors at the soap layers, varying the direction of light. I used fairly long expoition times, so the movement of the layers create solid colors, and fairly close aperture to have good definition, because I had to focus very very close due to my short lens. I did some tries in autofocus and in manual focus, finding that autofocus is not that bad, as I presumed it would be.
Sometimes the film is broken and you will have to put again the cup over the soap.
As in any other photo project, patience pays.
Experiment and have fun!
Regards. .
Sorry if my text is not ver clear, English is not my mother language, but I will gladly answer any further question.
I do not keep the links to the videos I watched for this, sorry.

Last edited:
You were very clear. Thanks for the information. There's some guy on the web who's an expert in shooting snowflakes. His biggest problem I recall was preventing the flake from melting before he got the shot.

You were very clear. Thanks for the information. There's some guy on the web who's an expert in shooting snowflakes. His biggest problem I recall was preventing the flake from melting before he got the shot.
I wish I could do that, but in the desert where I live, we barely know the rain, not to mentio snow!

Hello.
I got the technique during the enclosure of covid from youtube.
This was a great explanation of an awesome image. Thanks for sharing this. I will try this and may try shooting video of it in motion as I think video of this might look very cool.

Thanks for the inspiration.

This was a great explanation of an awesome image. Thanks for sharing this. I will try this and may try shooting video of it in motion as I think video of this might look very cool.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Good luck. Please share your videos and pics.
Regards

Love these - very interesting.

Most reactions

Back