Surva 2019 - International Masquerade Games - (Image Heavy)

D7K

This is the right time..
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Surva Festival is a festival held each year in Pernik, Bulgaria.

The festival showcases "Kukeri" from each ethnographic region throughout Bulgaria and internationally with each bringing their own custom, costumes (This first set is from one region, I am still working on editing others), masks and ritual songs and dances. The Kukeri are often now accompanied by girls / women some of which are also dressed as Kukeri but others are dressed in the traditional dress of their region.

The "Kukeri" are elaborately costumed and adorned with bells, accompanied by drums and horns and they perform traditional rituals which are intended to scare away evil spirits.

This is the first time I have attended the festival and was not able to secure a pass to allow me into the main square or to walk freely through the parade route so I was restricted to shooting from behind the barriers, for next year for sure I will be looking to get a pass..

For now I will continue to work on the shots I managed to get this year..

Kukeri_Dance_Photog.jpg
Kukeri_Dance.jpg
Kukeri_Half.jpg
Kukeri_March_2.jpg
Kukeri_Parade.jpg
Kukeri_Swing_1.jpg
Kukeri_Swing.jpg
Kukeri_Vignette.jpg
Kukeri.jpg
Mini_Kukeri.jpg
Surva_Geri.jpg
Surva_Traditional_Dress.jpg
Surva_Traditional_Dresses.jpg
Young_Kukeri_W_Mask.jpg

You found bigfoot!

Seriously, those are excellent images, fantastic costumes, and some very attractive people.

Reactions: D7K
You found bigfoot!

Seriously, those are excellent images, fantastic costumes, and some very attractive people.

Thanks a lot, It was a real treat, I can still hear the bells and the drums even now, for sure stays with you! Those shots of the girls, They grabbed me and asked me to take a couple of shots, the one of the girl looking into the distance is more a candid one.

I'll probably share some more here if anyone is interested, They're not really the kind of images that go down well on my IG profile as it's more landscape and city stuff, but hell, I refuse to be dictated to by "The Grid" that is Instagram.. Looking forward to uploading the whole set at a decent size to my website soon..

If you're interested to know more I'd suggest a quick youtube visit where there's a lot of videos where you can see a bit more of how it all goes down..

Switching up the "Bigfoot" Kukeri, Here's a shot from Kukeri from Burgas region.. Here you can see the bells, although these are some of the smaller ones, there were guys varying bells bigger than my head, and some carrying 50+ bells... You cannot imagine the sound when they all start bouncing and drumming... Clearly visible is the regional difference in the costumes..

Kukeri_Parade_Burgas_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the nightmares!

Only kidding. Great set!

Something doesn't feel right about the processing in these. very red hue, too much clarity/contrast bump, and lots of pushed shadow recovery.

Something doesn't feel right about the processing in these. very red hue, too much clarity/contrast bump, and lots of pushed shadow recovery.

There is a red hue to them when I look back across them actually, I'll sort that out, No clarity but some detailed highlights applied to a couple. There's minimal shadow recovery across most of the set with the exception of the three girls but appreciate the feedback and will for sure revisit them.

Very interesting. Great color pop

Most reactions

Back