Suwannee trip

Viridian Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some B&W shots from a kayaking trip i took with friends recently. The Suwannee is lined with old moss-covered cypress and pine trees and gnarled masses of roots. It really epitomizes old Florida in my mind. I underestimated how difficult it is to shoot photos while floating down a river in a kayak. Also the light was extremely difficult for me, between harsh overhead light and dappled shadows of trees, i couldn’t get a proper exposure to save my life. Constructive criticism is always welcome, I hope you enjoy.
IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9106.jpg

I don’t like the composition of the above photo, but the tree looks like a giant octopus.
IMG_9116.jpg
IMG_9118.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TPF. Go to your account settings and set the OK to edit flag. I'm going to assume it's OK since you asked for comments, but if not I'll remove the edits below.

Your photos are overall flat with the biggest problem that they have no black point. They are mostly grey & grey not B&W. I selected one and placed a histogram on the image with some notes.

too_grey.jpg

Tell us more about how you took the photos (camera) and processed them (software) and we can help more. Your photos posted have no EXIF data so we can't check for any info.

Here's that same photo with the problems noted above at least partially corrected.

cypress.jpg

Joe

Fun times, we floated the Peace River in Southern FL a couple years ago. Took a small point & shoot. Lots of Gators to contend with. The "tastes like chicken thing" kept going through my head every time they stared at me.

Nice set, Joe pretty much covered the critique.

Welcome to TPF. Go to your account settings and set the OK to edit flag. I'm going to assume it's OK since you asked for comments, but if not I'll remove the edits below.

Your photos are overall flat with the biggest problem that they have no black point. They are mostly grey & grey not B&W. I selected one and placed a histogram on the image with some notes.

View attachment 173165

Tell us more about how you took the photos (camera) and processed them (software) and we can help more. Your photos posted have no EXIF data so we can't check for any info.

Here's that same photo with the problems noted above at least partially corrected.

View attachment 173168

Joe

Thank you! This is great feedback. I’ll try to post the data and give you the other details either tonight or tomorrow.

Here are some B&W shots from a kayaking trip i took with friends recently. The Suwannee is lined with old moss-covered cypress and pine trees and gnarled masses of roots. It really epitomizes old Florida in my mind. I underestimated how difficult it is to shoot photos while floating down a river in a kayak. Also the light was extremely difficult for me, between harsh overhead light and dappled shadows of trees, i couldn’t get a proper exposure to save my life. Constructive criticism is always welcome, I hope you enjoy. View attachment 173160

View attachment 173161

View attachment 173162
I don’t like the composition of the above photo, but the tree looks like a giant octopus. View attachment 173163View attachment 173164

Great set of images. In the first image, the scenario is beautiful!

View attachment 173165

View attachment 173168

Joe
Thanks again. I'm brand new to photography. I bought my first real camera last fall. It's a Sony a6000 and my only lens at this point is the kit 16-50mm lens. I haven't invested in any editing software at this point (I still feel like I've got to learn a lot more about the basics of shooting before I dive off too deep into editing, that being said, I love what you did with that photo, so maybe I need to invest a little time/money), so I've been using the default editor on windows which basically lets you make some basic light and color adjustments. These pictures were all taken under very harsh light, so I ended up taking the highlights down a low, iirc.

(I still feel like I've got to learn a lot more about the basics of shooting before I dive off too deep into editing, t

This is the most IMPORTANT comment made by anyone yet. A digital image is a collection of data, the more data you record the better your final image will be. It's like the old computer adage "garbage in - garbage out). You are fortunate that you have a pretty good eye for composition, so a big part of the learning curve is already behind you.

Whatever you did didn't help. The halo around the trees Joe mentioned earlier is even more pronounced. Do you have the original without edits you could post. That way we might be able to give you better direction.

View attachment 173165

View attachment 173168

Joe
Thanks again. I'm brand new to photography. I bought my first real camera last fall. It's a Sony a6000 and my only lens at this point is the kit 16-50mm lens. I haven't invested in any editing software at this point (I still feel like I've got to learn a lot more about the basics of shooting before I dive off too deep into editing, that being said, I love what you did with that photo, so maybe I need to invest a little time/money), so I've been using the default editor on windows which basically lets you make some basic light and color adjustments. These pictures were all taken under very harsh light, so I ended up taking the highlights down a low, iirc.

Got it. Lots to learn then and we've all been there. That's a fine camera and ideal for trips like the one you took. You can't learn it all overnight so the most important thing you need now is patience and persistence. You're on the Internet and you've landed at a pretty good place here at TPF. A cautionary note is warranted: I'm not going to try and put a percentage on it but I'm pretty confident that as a source for photography info the Internet at large has more bad info out there for you than good -- be careful.

Here's some reading for you pulled from my class notes.

how it works
grc

Joe

Whatever you did didn't help. The halo around the trees Joe mentioned earlier is even more pronounced. Do you have the original without edits you could post. That way we might be able to give you better direction.

Ah, yeah, I just posted the edited version with a link to the exif data, did do any editing. I will see if I can post the original later this evening.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back