Switching from Bridge to Lightroom, Where's the photoshop love? Help!!

brush

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Up until recently, I'd been using Camera Raw for all my RAW editing, bridge for all my file handling, and photoshop for all my pixel-poppin'. I'm a designer at heart so Photoshop is always going to be my go-to for fixing blemishes & backgrounds & the more complex effects...but Lightroom won me over finally & it's pulling ahead of Bridge & Camera Raw for the rest of my processing & file handling needs. One BIG problem though...

When I used Bridge, after I finished editing out all my raw files, I'd select all the keepers, which I had previously marked as approved so I can filter to just those images & select 'em all in 1 click, then run a batch JPEG conversion by clicking Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor... and fill out the options I want. The nice thing about this is I could include Metadata, copyright info, etc like Lightroom does, but ALSO run a Photoshop action on each image as it processes to JPG. I built an action in photoshop that does a final high-pass filter and sharpening of each image. So by using Bridge's image processor I was able to apply that final high pass to each image as its exporting out the jpeg I'll deliver to clients or post online or do whatever I do. This is the most common thing I use it for, but I've also used it for resizing, watermarking, creative effects, all sorts of stuff. Seems like Lightroom has its own way of handling most of these processes for me instead, which is cool, but there are times you just can't beat a photoshop batch process.

SO, long story short...Bridge has a Photoshop Image Processor feature that lets me run photoshop actions on images as I export them to jpeg. Does Lightroom let me do the same thing, or do I have to work solely within LR's goody basket and if I still find I need my photoshop actions, go into bridge after the fact to convert 'em over?

SO, long story short...Bridge has a Photoshop Image Processor feature that lets me run photoshop actions on images as I export them to jpeg. Does Lightroom let me do the same thing, or do I have to work solely within LR's goody basket and if I still find I need my photoshop actions, go into bridge after the fact to convert 'em over?
Lightroom cannot access Photoshop's Image Processor or actions.

You'll need to continue using Bridge for those functions.

Lightroom doesn't use or have 'Actions', but the equivalent in LR is the 'Preset'.

I built an action in photoshop that does a final high-pass filter and sharpening of each image. So by using Bridge's image processor I was able to apply that final high pass to each image as its exporting out the jpeg I'll deliver to clients or post online or do whatever I do. This is the most common thing I use it for, but I've also used it for resizing, watermarking, creative effects, all sorts of stuff. Seems like Lightroom has its own way of handling most of these processes for me instead, which is cool, but there are times you just can't beat a photoshop batch process.
You can save and apply a preset for practically every aspect of LR. There is a sharpening option right in the export dialog, and it's a very good sharpening routine. It's tailored for the output that you choose (Screen, Print-matte or Print-glossy).
You can also apply just about any other preset upon export. So if you have a certain effect, or a watermark etc, you can apply it when working in LR, or your can just choose to apply it automatically when you export.

Of course, LR is not Photoshop CS...and there are many things that LR can't do. So if it's one of those things that you need, you'll just have to use CS.

Once you've converted to Jpeg just open up photoshop and run a batch action on it. It's one more step.

ah bummer, I guess it's a fair trade off for how much else Lightroom does so well. One extra step when I do need it, no big deal I suppose. Thanks!

You can create an action in photoshop and have it apply in batch from Lightroom.

Its File, Automate- Create Droplet :)

Last edited:
Sweet! Once you use Create Droplet you can set Lightroom's export pane to hit that droplet. Bossy, you rock! :)

Here's a video tutorial to do it:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back