Synching pentax 645N with flash

mrca

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This camera from 1997 to 2001 fits between my 30 - 40 yr old cameras that have me set the lens to X for sync speed and my digitals which just require I stay at or below max sync speed. I tested shooting with a trigger in hot shoe and it was firing my off camera flashes. However the negs were barely thin. I had set the film speed dial at what I knew to be the max sync speed of 1/60. Then I noticed the X on the shutter speed dial. That seems to set the shutter speed in the view finder at 1/60th but does it do something to properly time the flash to the shutter. The trigger worked fine on an RB but was connected with a cable to the trigger. Should using the X on the shutter speed dial properly time the flash/ shutter? Does it do something like front curtain sync rather than rear curtain? Have a few shots left on a test roll shot at X and may try connecting with a sync cable if the X shots fail. My understanding the X was for Xeon or strobes, the other setting on the older cameras was for flash bulbs which I expect have a longer flash duration.

I don't know what your question is but have you checked your camera's manual?

I have checked both the manuals for pentax 645 and 645N and the 645N is typical crap manual from 20 years ago, the 645 doesn't have a shutter dial and doesn't have an X setting.
My question is, if I have my off camera flash trigger in the hotshoe, should the 645N shutter dial be set to X? And what does the X do? Or does it just select the X port on the side of the camera? I have some shots with trigger in the hot shoe and X setting. I will try a couple with it set at 1/60 and a couple with the trigger out of the hot shoe connected with a cable to the X sync port and develop this afternoon.

"X" on a shutter speed dial usually means the camera's top flash sync speed when using electronic flash. I see that this is not mentioned in the manual.

The manual does give directions for using certain Pentax flash units and evidently doesn't want you using any other type because the manual makes no mention of how to use anything else.

Are you using one of the Pentax flash units mentioned in the manual?

Own a flash meter? Might be wise--and more economical--to get one. You've got a focal plane shutter with a max synch speed of 1/60 sec. With respect, the problems are likely less with the camera than your unfamiliarity with the parameters of studio flash photography. Have you ever checked in at the Strobist site? Worth a look.

Thanks guys. This test produced wonderful neg density trigger in hot shoe at both 1/60, X and with trigger out of hot shoe connected to X port with cable. It also fired my nikon speed light in the hotshoe. All is well in the studio. It fired all 6 lights for these 6 light selfies. My 20' bulb remote has the bulb not completely refilling but it works. The shot was tested digitally before going to the RB67 in 67 and 645 backs and the pentax 645N camera. I had to dial in not only subject ratio, but background darkness and bg spot with the lights for each. gcw, I have both a sekonic 780 combo incident/reflective I use in studio and a gossen pilot the size of a couple small max boxes that cost $12 for street and is dead on with the $700 Sekonic. I'm a studio portrait photographer, so lighting wasn't the problem and was tested digitally. Always looking for the silver lining. Got practice loading 120 film into my reels 2 at a time and will have an idea of what this pentax produces in grain size and sharpness compared to the RB67 with 645 and 67 backs. Used ilfotec ddx but may try xtol on next couple rolls to see the difference. The reason for the 3200 speed film is for the grain size and the 645 seems to match what I am looking for, in 35 mm that grain is overpowering, in 67 too small for my taste, in 645, goldi locks, just right. Plus the pentax 645n is one of the last film cameras made. Auto exposure available and accurate meter, auto focus that is really accurate and auto film advance. And it sounds like a camera should sound. It's not much bigger than my d850 with grip. Thanks for the responses.

"X" on a shutter speed dial usually means the camera's top flash sync speed when using electronic flash. I see that this is not mentioned in the manual.

The manual does give directions for using certain Pentax flash units and evidently doesn't want you using any other type because the manual makes no mention of how to use anything else.

Are you using one of the Pentax flash units mentioned in the manual?
Remember when digital cameras came out in early 2000 there was a warning about using older speed lights in the hot shoe because they kicked back a bunch of electricity back down into the camera that was fine with a mechanical film camera, but it could fry a digital camera. The 645 is electronic with auto exposure, auto focus and auto film advance. Kind of straddles both worlds so not surprised it was cautious about using other, especially older flashes. I relegated my aging 30 yr old vivitar 283 speed light to off camera flash and picked up a dedicated nikon flash suitable for digital cameras in early 2000.

I relegated my aging 30 yr old vivitar 283 speed light to off camera flash and picked up a dedicated nikon flash suitable for digital cameras in early 2000.

Good idea. The Vivitar 283 has a trigger voltage of around 200 volts or more. But, they are good as inexpensive off-camera slaves.

Good idea. The Vivitar 283 has a trigger voltage of around 200 volts or more. But, they are good as inexpensive off-camera slaves.
Yes, it had to capability of turning my d200 into a $1300 paper weight.

Should using the X on the shutter speed dial properly time the flash/ shutter?
The simplistic definition - X refers to the shortest shutterspeed at which both curtains of the shutter are open.

I've used it before, but find it awkward to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back