T3i - Kit EF-S 18-135mm IS or EF IS USM 28 - 135 mm F/3.5-5.6

ro76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning to get a T3i as a new entrant to the DSLR world.

Everyone says that the kit lenses are poor and that even a newboie will want to upgrade soon, so I'm thinking of buying a body only and a better lens.

I'm looking at the EF IS USM 28 - 135 mm F/3.5-5.6. There seems to be good value on ebay buying these lenses from 7D kit owners who are upgrading.

Is this a viable option, or should I be considering others?

Thanks

It's another kit lens. For quality they are about the same. The nicer thing about the 28-135 is that there is more reach and that keeps you more content as you start out.

OK. It seems better spec'd and better built than the similar T3i kit lens for about the same price. I thought it would be a better starter lens.

I personally don't think you are going to see much difference in image quality between the 18-135 and the 28-135. The 28-135 does have faster focusing and full time manual focusing. The 18mm wide end is much better on the crop body.

^^^^ that. I bought the 28-135mm initially with my crop camera and soon sold it. It be great as a complementary lens but restricted at wide end, I'd go with the 18-135mm lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back