What's new

Table top for a tripod??

Overread20

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
25,507
Reaction score
5,112
Location
UK - England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not table top tripod but rather a table top for a tripod!

Google is being no help at all - so - does anyone know if there is such a thing as a smallish square of wood attached to a screwthread that then attaches onto a tripod? Just trying to come up with ideas for a mobile (and lightish) setup for a macro studio and a table out in the field is one idea - however most portable tables are flimsy things - so I thought what not screw a small wooden top to a tripod?

Anyone ?
(I'd rather not have to go DIY because I havn't got any tools nor even a shed!)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
Ahh thanks! Sadly I can't seem to find that in a leading UK dealer, but I'll try searching around the name some more (though it seems tripod tray also commonly refers to the kinds that sit between the legs of the tripod as well
 
Sounds VERY easy to make.

I KNOW you could make one (probably a better one too) cheaper than you could buy one. The threads need to be 1/4 - 20. You should be able to find a bolt with those threads pretty easily.

You could even make one with a built in quick release plate.


edit
I think I know what my next project will be, lol.
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #6
Ship me one when you're done Josh ;)
Heh and yes I can envision the design quite easily; though Id probably go for a solid tripod to tray mount rather than a quick release setup. Don't see any major reason for it to be a quick attach/remove setup and it means I won't end up accidentaly overloading the tripod head (you know like leaning on it or something).

Trick would be working out the best size to have the table area at so that its stable and can take an edge weight (chances are some glass will held over one edge with a moth on it and who knows what else above it ;)).

Dom - nope I can't see a Gorillapod helping here
 
I've read it a few times now, and I'm not sure I can picture what you're looking for.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #8
Have a look a the link USA showed - a table/tray top that fits onto the top of a tripod instead of a regular tripod head (or in addition to if you make one with quick release). The idea being that you have a smallish table top surface supported by the tripod legs.
 
Trick would be working out the best size [...]

If (when ... ;)) I were making it, I would figure the area based on the FOV I would expect to need while using it.

Should be relatively easy to calculate - what lens will you be using, and how far away will it be? AoA (Angle of Attack ... don't know how else to describe it, lol) would be a factor too.

Add a few inches just in case.
 
I see. Is this so you can put bugs on it out in the field, and have your way with them?

Getting down on the ground doesn't work for ya?
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #12
Field of view for me then would be - hmm - a few cm at the very most ;)
It's more to hold the setup as well - so would probably end up far larger than what is needed for a macro setup. and would probably be supporting a lighttent/box at the very least.

And yes Dom its so I can have my wickied way with bugs ;) - but its also semi serious. For started as well as pretty arty shots I want to get good record shots, so I need at least a flat surface that is clean (not muddy) to capture those images. Then I also want to get the underside of the insect as well. Thus far the best I can come up with is the idea of using a glass sheet or UV filter and holding the setup up high (ok not that high) and shoot from below - most moths do stick rather well, but if I can have hte moth in a single position ontop of the glass for the first shot and then simply shift to shooting under it means less disturbance which means less chance of the moth flying off
 
MAN! I just had an awesome idea!

I can't remember what it's called though...

You know that 'thing' in a studio ... 2 walls (sometimes just 1) and a floor, curved corners... What's that called?

Make one like that.




...


Now someone will see this, invent that, and I will die penniless ... lol.
 
Ahh thanks! Sadly I can't seem to find that in a leading UK dealer, but I'll try searching around the name some more (though it seems tripod tray also commonly refers to the kinds that sit between the legs of the tripod as well

Manfrotto makes one.. being a UK company, I'm sure you can find someone locally.

Manfrotto 844 - UTILITY TRAY
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #15
Josh - I have a small idea as to what you mean -but don't ask me for studio stuff names ;) Are you thinking like what people use with portraits - witha backdrop wall?

Yah I did see theirs, but the only store I found selling it was backordered - plus it appears (from one site I found) that it has limited attachment to manfrotto setups - I think its aimed at being a side arm attachment rather than a screw to tripod - but like a lot of accessories the company website has nothing at all on it (seriously its like flashguns for canon - not a single ruddy detail that's of any use....)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom