Take the TPF Photo C&C Challenge!

I've been thinking about this the past few days, after being back and observing TPF for a few days (I mean, I actually kept the tab open on my computer and kept checking back almost as regularly as I do Facebook... :lol: )

There are a few things that I noticed, that I have already *complained* about, but I thought... why not be proactive about it, then?

WHAT I OBSERVED:

There isn't as much interaction as there used to be. At least not the same type of *quality* interaction that there used to be.

There is a lot of chatter in off-topic threads, or in threads concerning ethical discussions, or opinion pieces... but on threads with photos?

Definitely not as much as it used to be.

It could be because of "The Change". It could be that a lot of the members that USED to participate in good quality discussions on image threads are no longer here, maybe we have less users, maybe the newer people are too afraid to comment on more experienced user's posts... maybe the newer people are afraid to post in general... I dunno what it is. But I want it to change, because this place is more fun with a lot of discussions around photos... And hell, people LEARNED stuff when that happened. :lol:

It could be just my posts, but I feel like I only see the same 20 people posting new threads, or making comments on posts... There *has* to be more than 20 people on this forum still. :lol:

WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT:

I want to put out a CHALLENGE to EVERY. SINGLE. TPF. USER. IN THE KNOW UNIVERSE. REGARDLESS OF YOUR SKILL LEVEL. :laugh2:

I CHALLENGE YOU...
...to comment on every single thread you open, that contains an image.

If you have time to be on TPF... then you have time to *at least* leave a short comment. :1247:

Critique:

Now OBVIOUSLY *constructive critique*, if asked for it by the OP and/or the image was posted in a critique-based forum is best. BUT... if you don't have time for a full-blown critique, just hit on one point, or at the very least make a more general critique that helps in someway, or that you can come back to later and expand on when you *do* have time (e.g. "That is a beautiful photo, but it may be a tad underexposed")

I like it/I don't like it:

Now there are going to be instances where you're going to click on a thread that contains an image and one of two things may happen: 1. It may be posted to a forum not meant by default for critique, and critique was not asked for by the OP. 2. You may not feel comfortable giving a critique because of your skill level vs. theirs

So what should you do in those instances if you like the photo? SAY SO! :lol: (e.g. "Nice photo!"; "I love the way you captured her expression!"; "Beautiful!", etc.)

What should you do in those instances if you *don't* like the photo? Ask the OP if it's alright if you *give* critique. If it's a thread not defaulted for critique and the OP didn't ask for critique, but you feel like you would *like* to give critique, then simply ask for permission to give it. If the OP grants you that permission, then give your critique. If they don't, then just move on. :1247:

What should you do if you're just uncomfortable giving critique because of your skill level, in either situation? Tell the OP that you like or dislike the photo, and explain that you may not exactly know why, but try to describe what about the image you're loving or not liking so much. -- TPF is a forum for learning, and one of the ways we learn is not only by receiving critique, but critiquing others. Leave the best critique of your abilities, and then *ask* the other members in the thread to help you pinpoint exactly why you may be feeling that way about the image. :1247:

WHY SHOULD WE DO THIS?

It's going to create a more fun and interactive environment, and it's going to encourage more users to speak! TPF will be more fun, and it will hopefully become a better place of learning and improvement, for those striving to improve, both new and old (Us TPF veterans are still trying to improve, you know. :sexywink: )

SO, WILL YOU TAKE THE TPF C&C CHALLENGE?

If so, copy/paste the following into your signature to encourage others to do the same :1247: :

I have accepted the TPF C&C challenge!

(Yes, that's a link to this thread -- It's a way for people to find out what it is, without you having to copy/paste the whole idea into your signature, haha).

So will you take the challenge with me?

I'm sure some of you will think this is utterly stupid, but honestly... what's wrong with encouraging learning and discussion on images? :sexywink:

I totally agree that there should be interaction, I'll do my best to coment event though I don't feel I'm experienced enought to give C&C. These forums are to learn and that's why I've joined.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back