Taking a corporate group portrait of 100

Thank you for all of this great information! The more I'm reading about it all the more I want to see about having everyone in a foyer situation with me on a balcony. The idea of so many in a room of any size just doesn't seem feasible. I will be meeting with the key players to sort this out. They may have a past image of the company they want duplicated. I've seen a lot of company photos that are very lack luster so maybe they are not expecting as much from me as I am! I do have a few months to iron things out. And would definitely not go into this blind. Again, thank you, thank you!!!

I have to agree with pendennis and smoke665 - the company would be wise to hire a photographer.

Just an idea, I have nothing else to add, because the answers are all helpful.

If the place has a large open stairway, where you can get them all lined up, that will get more people into a smaller area. And I mean, side view, not shooting straight up the stairs. But that would also work, if it was wide?

You start running into problems on the level, at 20 people wide, five deep. Which is maybe 40 feet wide. And then you have to stagger people, so no one is standing behind someone else, still shorter people in front.

Words to the groups: "if you can't see the camera lens, you won't be in the photo!" I don't know why people line up and then stand behind someone else?

about having everyone in a foyer situation with me on a balcony. The idea of so many in a room of any size just doesn't seem feasible.
You can use a step ladder to create the same effect.

In your site visit, location decision you also need to consider how it will affect the normal foot traffic/business of the event location. The last thing you want is a bunch of looky lous standing around you, people walking onto the set, or tripping over cables.

Yes, for sure!

You can use a step ladder to create the same effect.

In your site visit, location decision you also need to consider how it will affect the normal foot traffic/business of the event location. The last thing you want is a bunch of looky lous standing around you, people walking onto the set, or tripping over cables.

Or smart a$$es (not part of the group pic) in the background making faces at you.

Just an idea, I have nothing else to add, because the answers are all helpful.

If the place has a large open stairway, where you can get them all lined up, that will get more people into a smaller area. And I mean, side view, not shooting straight up the stairs. But that would also work, if it was wide?

You start running into problems on the level, at 20 people wide, five deep. Which is maybe 40 feet wide. And then you have to stagger people, so no one is standing behind someone else, still shorter people in front.

Words to the groups: "if you can't see the camera lens, you won't be in the photo!" I don't know why people line up and then stand behind someone else?

The problem is, if they can see you, all that means is their eyes can see the camera.
Like you said, if they are behind someone else, the lower part of their face may be blocked.

Just though of something.
You may not have as much flexibility in positioning people.
Positioning a person in a group shot may be by position in the company; president of the company in the front middle, managers around him in the front center, worker bees on the side or back.
Old story, proximity to the president indicates how much power/status you have in the company.
So you might have TALL/BIG people in front center :grumpy:

Once you have the plan for where people will stand, I would work with the president's admin assistant/secretary to plan the arrangement.

Most reactions

Back