Taking images of LCD displays

firecrackerktm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning,

I need to take clear images of a small display screen my company uses for controlling equipment. Normally I can get screen shots from the programmer, but for this one product we buy them already programmed by the distributor, so I need to take the photos. (I've tried to get him to send me screen shots, but he isn't getting back to me and I can't wait.)

The display in question is a 6.5" wide TFT screen. The photos I have are terribly lit, not quite in focus, and the moire patterns are the worst.

I've read some articles on photographing screens, but they are all about taking images of TVs and computer monitors and smart phones, which aren't all the same type of display as I have here.

What I'm hoping for here would be some tips on camera settings, lighting, etc.

For a company-provided camera, I have a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS. I do have a tripod and can probably get the guys in the shop to rig up some work lights if additional lighting would be beneficial.

Maybe not the most ideal equipment, but it's what I have to work with at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Without more knowledge of the screen I would set up on the tripod and just try stuff. Definitely no outside lighting. Start with low speed shutter with wide open iris and work the speed up and the iris closing. Look at each shot and change settings as needed. You could also take multiple shots and merge them with Photoshop or the like.

Thanks!

It's a TFT display, which is a type of LCD screen, that we use for controlling water distribution systems. Here's the manufacturer's data sheet:
http://files.danfoss.com/documents/520l0737.pdf
IMG114022138420.jpg

What type of direction and lighting would you suggest? I do have a tripod, which will help a lot.

I would turn off or block any room lights and direct the camera as close as good focus will allow and straight in front of the screen. Use the light meter in the camera set to wide area reading. Is the screen changing constantly or remaining fixed?

Awesome, that helps.

It is fixed in that there's no video or moving images to capture, but I need to get about 50+ pictures of the various modes and functions so this will be an all-day project.

It has a macro mode, but the lens is fixed to the camera body ... I'm no photo expert, but it's just a point and shoot, not a DSLR. I'm sure I can get what settings it does have figured out to get me better images than we had in the past, so your suggestions are helping me sort through the settings.

I've never been much of a photographer ... even as a journalist I just used the basic DSLR camera the newsroom had, put it on auto and hoped for the best (We had a real photographer on staff, but sometimes he was overbooked).

Anyway, I'm not there anymore, just trying to improve our user manuals.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back