What's new

Extreeeeme close ups

JTT

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new here, with a question about taking extreme close up images from an old film.
Basically, I need to take some extreme close up images of a very small area in frames from an old 8mm film. I've seen previous blow ups from this same area and I'd like to try to recreate those and see if I can still make out some detail. If you imagine the area of an 8mm film being the size of your computer monitor, then imagine a fly sitting on the screen. So it's very small area from which I'd like to get whatever detail I can.
My thinking has been to get a light table of some kind, then something to carefully hold the film, and use some type of macro lens (or whatever might be better).
Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
-JTT
 
I've taken images from 8 mm film by fixturing (back lighting the film and holding it in-place for easy frame by frame advancement), plus using a macro lens to fill the frame on my camera. So yes, that is an option. And sharpening in post will improve the resulting images. Finally, there are upscaling options that many software packages can provide. It all depends on what your expectations are as to whether that will meet your expectations as there is a limit to what information about the scene was ultimately captured at the time it was filmed .
 
Hello and welcome. Interesting subject, I look forward to seeing your results... :encouragement:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom