Taking low light photos inside few questions

Thanks for sharing - your pictures look like they turned out exceptionally well! What particular lens did you use when taking them? It looks like you captured the atmosphere and lighting very nicely.

I would still agree with you - get a fast-opening lens if you can, or the even cheaper option of a 50mm 1.8. I use a Canon EF 50mm on my 5D II for low-light, and it works extremely well for my purposes (usually concerts and other performances at the theater where I work).

Thanks for sharing - your pictures look like they turned out exceptionally well! What particular lens did you use when taking them? It looks like you captured the atmosphere and lighting very nicely.

I would still agree with you - get a fast-opening lens if you can, or the even cheaper option of a 50mm 1.8. I use a Canon EF 50mm on my 5D II for low-light, and it works extremely well for my purposes (usually concerts and other performances at the theater where I work).

Thanks for the feedback. I used the 18-200mm lens for those pictures. I tried to use the wide angle zoom but quickly learned that it distorts people when shot in tight interiors and all the girls complained they looked fat (which indeed they did - in the pictures only of course). So I tried to step back as far as possible at the corners of our private room and zoom in as needed to take the pics I wanted. I'm looking already at 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 primes. Just need to figure out what focal length I prefer.

I think they are fine considering your equipment and lighting. IMO maybe those picture have more meaning to them but for me i wouldn't print larger then 4x6 or display them online more then 900px on the longest side so yea. If you start going with a faster lens like a 50 1.8, remember that you lose the zoom factor so now you are going to be getting up and down and moving all around to adjust your frame and with that faster lens also comes a much shorter DoF. IE if you shot that couple pic all the way open with the 1.8 and focused on his eye, her hair would start falling out of focus, and if you tightened the frame any her hair would be out of focus. Not to mention you have to be standing 10 feet away to do the couple shot, is that practical in a restaurant?

DoF @ f1.8 = ~7 3/4" @ 10' away to have a frame 4' wide

Thanks for your feedback on the pictures and the advice on the prime lenses. I understand the limitations of the prime lens as you describe but I guess once I start shooting with it is when I'll get a feel for what it's really like.

Most reactions

Back