Taking picture of large groups (10-30 people)

RowmyF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone - I've done some searching on the forums reading up on lenses to I wouldn't post a question asked 1001 times before, but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

I need to buy a versatile lens that is GREAT quality...what I'm lacking right now (I only own a 50mm :-/ and rent lenses as I need them, mostly 24-200mm lens) is a lens that I can use for large group portraits of like 10-30 people. I would like something mildly versatile so I can use it for large portrait groups but also individual portraits so I want something that has a zoom of course...and getting the most bang for my buck..

Any input is greatly appreciated!! :wink:

Where will you be shooting this group. In close quarters, or outside with plenty of room to backup?

Hey - I should be in a big space outdoors...

10-20mm Sigma Ultrawide or just use your 50mm and a panoramic software. Take 20 pics and stitch them together.

Hey - is there somewhere I can read about how that is done?

I wouldn't recommend the sigma 10-20 for portraits as there is to much distortion. It really depends on your budget. If you wanted to you could even just buy the normal 18-55mm af-s lens offered as a kit lens with many nikons.

I agree about picking up a kit lens. Get the 18-55 II kit lens and stop it down outside in bright light and it will be plenty sharp.

Also shoot in raw with it so you can adjust colors/contrast in PP as those are 2 areas where you'll notice a difference betwen the 18-55 and your 50mm f1.8.

I wouldn't recommend the sigma 10-20 for portraits as there is to much distortion. It really depends on your budget. If you wanted to you could even just buy the normal 18-55mm af-s lens offered as a kit lens with many nikons.

Not for serious portraits anyways....not for the most part. And especially for a large group. It would be difficult to get everthing in there without being distorted, even at 20mm. Although, I did use it for a shoot this weekend and even the mor serious shots turned out to good effect.

I used a 24-105 lens for a wedding a week or so ago for about 15-20 people. I had limited room to back up, but I set it on the tripod at 28mm about 7-8 feet away and got everyone in there. Granted this was on a 1D Mk2(1.3x crop factor) so you may want something a little wider or back up more if you can.

At 10mm yes, a ton. At 20mm (still plenty wide), very little and that little bit can easily be addressed in post processing. ;)

A good alteriative and a lot faster is the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8. It all depends on:

- lighting
- positioning
- camera/lens combo
- photographer

If you are a strobist fan, you could get that pic with a kit lens easily enough with 4-6 SB-800s well placed. If you are short on lighting, a faster lens is going to be needed.

Hey, doesn't Nikkor still make a manual focus 50mm F/1.2? (lol!!)

At 10mm yes, a ton. At 20mm (still plenty wide), very little and that little bit can easily be addressed in post processing. ;)

A good alteriative and a lot faster is the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8. It all depends on:

- lighting
- positioning
- camera/lens combo
- photographer

If you are a strobist fan, you could get that pic with a kit lens easily enough with 4-6 SB-800s well placed. If you are short on lighting, a faster lens is going to be needed.

Hey, doesn't Nikkor still make a manual focus 50mm F/1.2? (lol!!)

Or you could do what I did today and buy a 60" umbrella to stick a ton of flashes in :mrgreen:

Well I don't shoot big groups often so I dont want to invest in a wide angle lens :er:

Well wasn't that he whole point of your post to ask what lens to buy for shooting large groups. And I quote "I need to buy a versatile lens that is GREAT quality".

Can you use a telephoto lense? short distance to group long to background? My thoughts are with my 18-55mm but don't know what aperture is needed for a group of ten

Most reactions

Back