Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am think of buying the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens for my nikon D5100 as an upgrade from my 18-55mm kit lens. I was going to get the version with vibration reduction but have read that some say you are better going for the one without vibration reduction as it is sharper, please give me your thoughts if you have any knowledge of this.

Also I have a 55-200mm so if I replace my 18-55mm with a 17-50mm I will be missing 50-55mm, do you think this will realy matter? This may be an obvious answer but just need your thoughts and advice.

Thanks in advance.

I had the non-VC version for several years...it was a great lens, especially considering the $500 price tag. I have read that the newer version, with VC, isn't as good...but I think a big part of that, is that it is/was something like $200-$300 more expensive. So at that price, it's not so much of a deal anymore and it's getting to the point that you might consider the the 17-55mm F2.8 IS (or Nikon equivalent in your case).

As for it being less sharp...I have read that, but I haven't seen any proof. People tend to get annoyed when the newer version of things, aren't significantly better than the older version. Therefore, if the sharpness were similar, it may still get poor reviews from people who raved about the sharpness of the older version. Know what I mean?

My advice, would be to look for both the VC and non VC models...and if the non-VC model is significantly cheaper, then get it. But if they are similar, get the VC.

lso I have a 55-200mm so if I replace my 18-55mm with a 17-50mm I will be missing 50-55mm, do you think this will realy matter? This may be an obvious answer but just need your thoughts and advice.
You could make up the difference by leaning forward or back....or taking a small step either way. In other words...you won't miss that 5mm range.

The Nikon version is nearly £900 (out of my price range) the tamron version I can get for around £250.

Most reactions

Back