Tamron vs. Canon f/2.8 zoom bokeh comparison

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ksmattfish, Feb 13, 2009.

?

Which bokeh do you like best?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2009.
  1. Lens A

66.7%
  2. Lens B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lens C

3.3%
  4. I can't see a difference

10.0%
  5. I can see a difference, but it's not enough to matter in prints.

20.0%
  1. Enem178

Enem178 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like "B" better than "C" because it seems to have a little more contrast.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really can't tell between B and C, but A blows them both away in overall quality IMO.

I'm currently saving up for the Nikon 24-70, but I don't know if I should try and go down the route of primes and keep my 24-120 VR as a "walk-around" lens. I've used the new 50mm f/1.4G, and it's a DREAM to work with, much easier to work with then the D models, you can get a better grip and the clarity is so 3 dimentional, but I don't know how much i'd be really using it and I don't know if I could justify it. Before setting up some primes, I'm really hoping this year Nikon's going to make a 24mm f/1.4 and a new 85mm f/1.8.

I've printed phenomenal looking 12x18's from my D700/24-120VR, but 12x18 is easy for 12MP. I haven't done a 20x30 with the combination, but will be very soon and i'm thinking things are going to be just fine.

When you know and work within the 24-120's limitations it really isn't that bad, especially compared to the huge size of the D3/700's pixels.

I think that's what we're seeing here to an extent with the tamron and the canon 24-70. Use them both on a 5DII or 1DsIII and I think the difference will be more obvious.

3. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A is the best, but both of the lenses are the same.

4. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Between B & C the bokeh looks very identical to me, however the close up of the eye looks better on C.

As for bokeh on the Blad.. that's sad :( Larger formats give better depth of field control.. you'd think that'd allow for some nice bokeh, guess the lens didn't cut it :p

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    B is the Canon. C is the Tamron. Before this test I would choose which lens to use based on whether I thought 24mm or 75mm was going to be more useful. Seeing that the Tamron is 1/3rd stop faster changes things though. I need to see if I can spot a significant difference between the Tamron at f/3.2 and the Canon at f/2.8.

6. plentygood

plentygood TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so much for this and your other thread. I wish there were more reviews/comparisons for lenses out there that were done like this one has been. I think you've convinced me to buy the Tamron, even though I was saving up for the Canon for the better focus and better sharpness that I equated with Ls. Although the Canon does appear a little more sharp to me, it's not enough to warrant a price tag around 3x as much.

7. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I feel the same way, but now i have to debate whether or not i want to pay triple the price for the amount of time and the amount of abuse the L will take....

8. One comment: bokeh is usually most interesting when it shows points of light... can you do some shots with light sources, or better yet: reflected sunlight. Grey cloudy days are not as good as sunny ones for this kind of thing... think of light reflecting off leaves, or sun bouncing off chrome bumpers and shiney edges...