Tamron vs Nikon 24-70mm/2.8

Tamron vs Nikon

• Total voters
I have a few shots that exhibit the onion rings in my bokeh balls. I'll document how easy it would be to remove them. I've never tried because I honestly don't care.
Would be helpful to quite a few folks here, including myself. I have an idea of what you mean, but you always learn something new when looking at someone else's workflow! :)

A fellow who used to be here on TPF messaged me, asking about the Tamron 24-70 versus the Canon 24-70mm 2.8...I went to Full-size sample photos from thousands of lenses and cameras :: Pixel Peeper and looked through a BUNCH of sample images made by the Canon and the Tamron....where the Tamron loses is its aggressive bokeh, and its unfortunate "onion-ring" bokeh signature, which ruins its images for m any types of photos...

If you look, owners of the Tammy seem reluctant to post sample photos of it in obvious "bokeh ball" type situations, which are many and legion in the real world, but if you go through the samples, you'll find some photos.

Ahhh... onion-ring bokeh. You've really got to rent one of these: LensRentals.com - Rent a Lomography x Zenit Petzval (Nikon F)

Do a Google Images search for "Lomography Petzval" and you'll you'll get numbers great examples of it.

I agree with your point... it's unfortunate that people will look at just one aspect of a lens and declare "this one is better". There is so much more to a lens.

Either Field Blur and/or Dust and Scratches it in PS. Or spot brush in LR and turn sharpness/clarity to -100.

And looks to me like the Canon version of this lens exhibits the same characteristics:
24-70 II Onion Ring Bokeh

Thanks for the example. I thought you were referring to the effect where the entire image swirls (which is why I immediately thought of the Lomography Petzval lens... for which this is practically a signature look) -- I hadn't seen this effect which each individual circle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back