Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD

dan.rpo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Reviews on this lens please.

I am going to a wedding next month and was requested to take some amateur shots. I only have the stock 18-55 kit lens. (Nikon D40).

Considering purchasing:
Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Autofocus Lens

Thanks!

COMPARE WITH:
Nikon 55-200mm DX AF-S Lens
Nikon 70-300mm G Lens
Nikon 18-200mm DX AF-S VR Lens

OR any other wide angle-telephoto zoom lenses with a budget of MAX $200.

Last edited:
I have the lens, and I really enjoy it, especially for the price. you'll probably want a tripod though, because its really hard to handhold it at 300mm. Here are 2 pictures I took the other day with it.
IMG_2107.jpg

WhiteFlower.jpg

Do you have a flash of any sort other then the pop-up? Definitely take the tripod if you have it. Depending on where the wedding is that lens is going to have a big light problem for candids. It should be fine for posed shots with a tripod though. Just one more thing to ask though, why are you comparing it to the 18-200? That lens is about 700 bucks.

i do have a tripod, but no iTTL flash. but i will buy one the same time i buy the lens. going to get an equivalent SB600 by Bower i think.

i only put the 18-200 up there b.c i found it on ebay pretty cheap. like 200 or something like that.

will the 70-300 only have a big light problem for candids if i use the pop up flash? if i buy the dedicated flash and use the 70-300, will i be fine for the wedding?

Even with the pop up, as long as you turn it down (not sure if you can with that model camera) it should be ok. And with a dedicated flash yes you should be fine. You can bounce it so it doesnt look like your using flash. There are tons of things you can do to make it work.

thanks....so now, i guess im between the tamron 70-300 and the nikon 55-200 VR.

which would you choose?

55-200 vr is probably what I would go with. I dont have experience with it, but people say its a pretty good lens, especially for the money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back