Tarantula Hawk

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In the Pepsis or Hemipepsis genus this is the wasp that parasitizes my tarantulas. It's sting is considered the second most painful on the Shmidt pain index. My mayordomo (caretaker) is pretty cavalier about scorpions even picking them up by the tail sometimes but he is extremely chary of this wasp. The venom of the sting is specifically designed to paralyze tarantulas. The wasp stings one which is immediately paralyzed but alive. Then the wasp drags it to a hole, deposits it and lays a single egg on top. When the egg hatches it eats the spider avoiding vital organs to keep it alive as long as possible. Fortunately for us they are very docile and don't attack readily. It's not a great photo as I was walking with my telephoto but surely you'll find the story charming.

21606669941_6e49691ce7_c.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting insect. Thanks for the description.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's a horror story. Cool photo.

Dave

Great photo - a tricky subject to photo they seem very scared of people despite their sting.

Nice shot. It's that little element of danger that can make photography a little more exciting, for the photographer and the viewer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back