Tasteful HDR? You be the judge!

I really like the first two, last one doesn't do much for me.

Second one is my favorite, really brought life to the old shack.

What do you not like about the third one?

(it's not an HDR conversion... I just put tons of compression on the shadows to make sure everyone was paying attention lol)

Sorry, I guess that would help :)

There's just nothing that captures my attention and I find my eyes wandering aimlessly at the photo, rather flat.

The others have a lot of depth and really draw me in.

Nice work! I like how the colours are rich but not over the top. The 2nd shot is really great.

Thanks!

It's hard to find a balance between oversaturation and the grayness that sliding the gamma up a bit causes. it's fun to try and figure this HDR stuff out though.

I'm not usually a big fan of HDR, mainly because it's usually overdone and/or done to a picture that it shouldn't be. That said, I think these were pretty well done, and I agree with everything PhotoX said.

Thanks! I actually went a little overboard on the first 2 compared to what I usually do just to see how far I could push it. Nice to know that I still have some leeway.

I think the main problem with HDR is that people think of it as an "effect" rather than a tool. I only use it to display more of a dynamic range, and not to look like a drawing or painting.

I think you nailed the HDRs that you did. I agree in that many people (and its fine to do, just not my style) like to over process HDRs. I like to consider HDR are a tool to be used when the moment is proper to ensure a nicely captured image or scene.

So for the processing, really nice job.

Overall, #2 stands out as the better image IMO. I like the contrast in colours between the red of the building and the blue of the sky. Its also really clear. The camera angle also helps give the image a nice 3D look, or least some sort of depth.

In contrast, what I like about #2 is totally lacking in #3. The colours all kind of blend together making the shot bland. Its a straight on shot, with next to no depth or interest. All you are missing is perfectly centering the image. :)

I think the main problem with HDR is that people think of it as an "effect" rather than a tool. I only use it to display more of a dynamic range, and not to look like a drawing or painting.

I agree in that many people (and its fine to do, just not my style) like to over process HDRs. I like to consider HDR are a tool to be used when the moment is proper to ensure a nicely captured image or scene.

:thumbup: My feelings exactly.

I like number 2... Number 1 the sky is very nice but the car isn't so interesting. I think Battou said it well -- the processing to HDR is top notch but the subject matter leaves something to be desired...

Now that sky with a windswept plain, or some nice mountains, that would be very nice...

Actually, to the right crowd, it's a very interesting car... grocery getter that runs the quarter in a 13.3 seconds? Yes please.

regardless, comments on the post was what I was most interested in, so thanks for the compliments!

Great!
I love #2.
I'm intrigued by HDR.
Can you give a quick rundown explaining your process?

Most reactions

Back