Techniques for dealing with backlit locations

shannonegg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm doing portrait work for a high school marching band next week, which involves a group shot of about 100 kids in bleachers outside. I went to the stadium this morning to check things out, and have realized that if there is sun, it will be behind the bleachers. Obviously I'll be too far away to utilize any kind of flash. I'll be shooting with a Rebel XTI with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens perched on top of a 12 foot ladder. Any suggestions on dealing with back light would be great!

Welcome to the forum.

Since it sounds like you won't be able use any lighting to light up the front of them, the important thing will be that you meter correctly and don't let the bright sky/sun in the background affect the exposure. The result will likely be that the background will have to be completely blown out in order to get enough exposure of your subjects, but that's a lot better than having them appear only in silhouette.

You could take some white sheets, and hang them up (or have them held up) behind you to reflect some of the natural light back towards your victi...er I mean subjects. :p

Meter in average, spot, and bracket your shots.

An alternative to sheets is 4 x 8 sheets of dry wall or paint a couple sheets of cheap 1/8" plywood or particle board white, anything big and white to reflect. You'll need a couple assistants.

If you have 2 speedlights and can do OCF:
Adjust the zoom on both to the max.

Put one on the left. Aim it at the last person on the RIGHT in the middle row. That will feather it nicely. Put the other light on the right and aim it at the last person on the LEFT in the middle row.

How about just having them face 180 degrees and you shoot with the sun behind you, is there a reason why the most obvious thing that I would first think of, not work for you?

An alternative to sheets is 4 x 8 sheets of dry wall or paint a couple sheets of cheap 1/8" plywood or particle board white, anything big and white to reflect. You'll need a couple assistants.

If you have 2 speedlights and can do OCF:
Adjust the zoom on both to the max.

Put one on the left. Aim it at the last person on the RIGHT in the middle row. That will feather it nicely. Put the other light on the right and aim it at the last person on the LEFT in the middle row.

Note that the speedlites will have to be rather far back to get even fall-off, but yeah, doable. Maybe toss in those large boards too for good measure?

How about just having them face 180 degrees and you shoot with the sun behind you, is there a reason why the most obvious thing that I would first think of, not work for you?
I think they probaby want the school name/logo in the shot and the bleachers on the other side of the field are for the visitors, so no school name/logo over there.

Careful placement and use of a graduated neutral density filter is what I would use.

skieur

I think they probaby want the school name/logo in the shot and the bleachers on the other side of the field are for the visitors, so no school name/logo over there.

Or, even better - wait to do the shoot untill after noon, when the sun will be in the right place.

Does it absolutely have to be done in the morning?

Yes this seems most logical, but the bleachers on the opposite side are much higher and at more of an incline. I'm worried about the upward angle in which I'll have to shoot as I won't be high enough to get a level shot (I'll be on a 12 foot ladder as it is).

Yes this seems most logical, but the bleachers on the opposite side are much higher and at more of an incline. I'm worried about the upward angle in which I'll have to shoot as I won't be high enough to get a level shot (I'll be on a 12 foot ladder as it is).

So..., what about shooting on the good bleachers, but waiting for the good sunlight? (Like I said before...)

Thanks for your advice, Mike! I've done some research regarding metering and yes, I think this will be my best bet considering the scenerio I'm up against. I think i'll do some experiementing tomorrow.

Unfortunatly I'm tied to a school schedule and am at the mercy of the director. The kids come to school at 8:00 and are finished before noon. i have from 9:00 to 9:30 to file 88 boys into the bleachers and get the shot. I appreciate your feedback, and hope that the metering advice will work!

Most reactions

Back